Long reining tips

Gill

We are doing reasonably well with the beginnings of long reining, generally working in the school or around the yard. I could do with a couple of tips though,
1) Encouraging forward. My ponies are pretty laid back and would probably prefer to stand still than move forward. I use my voice, sometimes use a helper at the head, think I need a shortish whip, it's just the hands full of stuff which is hard! I don't want to flap.
2) Not only are my ponies idle, they love to eat. I want to venture round the field on long reins but I know it has every chance of turning into a picnic. Now I know it's not polite for them to eat, but it's hard to stop it. Tips please?

I wish we had some quiet lanes but sadly not.

If when long lining to start with you hold a lunge whip like a schooling whip, so it's facing down to the floor, you'll need to bring your elbow up and forwards to use it, the horse will see your elbow come up and the whip used. Soon you can refine this down and down until just a small move of your elbow forwards will be enough to encourage them forwards........if you see what I mean.

I also prefer driving reins as opposed to lunge lines with my 2, Junes quite sharp and I struggle with 2 hand fulls of lunge lines, and jazz is still very green and I like to have as little in my hands as possible to deal with him. Also makes it easier to hold a whip if necessary

I find I end up tangled up and confuzzled with lunge lines, I only tend to use 2 lunge lines when lunging with 2 lines and doing lateral work with June. Otherwise I stick to the shortys :)

Lunge reins can get really heavy in wet weather or from hitting the floor. It really makes the communication heavy and unyeilding. I find Yacht rope very good for making long reins from. It does not soak up water , does not catch the wind and you have a much lighter line to communicate down.

newrider.com