Long reining from what age?

Sexy Sietske

Aug 18, 2006
Derbyshire/nottinghamshire
I would start long lining a horse coming up to its second birthday, keeping things short and sweet and straight (ie not on circles)

I would advice if you have never done it before test drive a proven sensible long liner ;)

Louki

Mar 20, 2009
Depends on each horse, there is no set time as to when they may be ready to start learning new things.

However.. If you have never long reined before, i would strongly suggest you take some lessons & learn to long rein an older horse & become pretty good at it before you long rein a youngster. Good long reining is a huge benefit to a youngster, but in the hands of someone who does not really know all that is involved, how to feel from the horse etc, it can seriously set the learning back quite a time.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I did a little bit with Little Un (Welsh D) in the autumn he was 2. Short sessions though, mostly in walk & a little bit of trot. We did stopping, starting & steering - big loops, between poles, over poles, wide apart bending poles. Basically I did enough sessions that I knew he'd got the idea (bless him, he's not the brightest) then stopped & didn't start again until the next summer.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I do BUT
- only when they know how to long rein & are obedient & reliable in the reins
- not on very busy roads
- not as the first introduction to traffic (I walk out in hand first)
- always from a bridle
- always with a capable helper to go to the head if things go wrong & to check junctions are clear before I pull out

HJ

Oct 13, 2008
East Midlands
Attach a line to each side of the bit and under the saddle flap (well i do, not sure where your supposed to put it) and stanad about 1-2 metres behind the horse and then its mainly voice commands to go and pulling the reins to stear and stop :)

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Eveadel is there anyone that can show you? It's not difficult to do at a basic level but it's far easier to pick up if you can watch it done rather than follow instructions. Also if you don't know if Marley has long reined before it's better to get someone experienced to try frst because occassionally you do get a horse that objects strongly! I long rein my 5 yo welsh D & 'm currently long reining someone's nappy 5yo out to get her more confident & better behaved but I wouldn't contemplate doing my 11yo ID unless I had a death wish :eek:

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
Eveadel is there anyone that can show you? It's not difficult to do at a basic level but it's far easier to pick up if you can watch it done rather than follow instructions. Also if you don't know if Marley has long reined before it's better to get someone experienced to try frst because occassionally you do get a horse that objects strongly! I long rein my 5 yo welsh D & 'm currently long reining someone's nappy 5yo out to get her more confident & better behaved but I wouldn't contemplate doing my 11yo ID unless I had a death wish :eek:

I will ask if he has done it before. He is such a good boy I cant see that it he would be a bugger but will check first :)

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
I long rein on the road occasionally when training them to drive, but our roads are so quiet, covered in sheep anyway.

I would poo blue lights on roads south and stick to tracks without cars. You can't be too careful.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I would poo blue lights on roads south and stick to tracks without cars. You can't be too careful.

Wally I'm shocked, I had you down as one of those incredibly fearless types who'd march a horse briskly through a city centre saying "he'll get used to it!"

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
My days of queueing up in long traffic jams near the Merry Hill, (Merry HELL) centre are long gone. I did it, I lived to tell the tale.

I have driven many a horse and cart though the streets of Wolverhampton, Birmingham , Dudley, etc. I got away with it, not saying I enjoyed the experience.

The horses may well have got used to it......I didn't :D :D