long reining? Do you use...

*taz*

is now horseless!
Jan 11, 2008
Lovely Leicestershire!!
when you long rein do you prefer to use 2 lunge lines or a pair of driving reins?

ive just bought a roller start long reining ferg but only have 1 lunge line so wonder whenther to get another lunge line or driving reins?:confused:

thanks!:)

tara and ferg!!

I'm cheap and use lunge lines but then I only long rein in an enclosed area. I did consider going for driving reins when I though about venturing off the yard but then decided not to venture off the yard and it is bends that I want to focus on and I can't do that when out and about!

both. if im longreining where im behind the horse then the driving reins, if im working on a circle then lung lines. why???

for the behind work driving reins are shorter! on a circle i fined you work the horse on a fairley tight circle because of the shortness.

I prefer driving reins because I get in a muddle with 2 lungelines! Though would probably get better with practice, but can only do this with a saint-like horse!

Does anyone know where i would be able to get a cheap pair of driving reins from?

Because i think i am going to gt into a muddle with lunge lines! (imthat sort of person lol!!):p

Ive looked on ebay and i cant find anything!!:eek:

Thanks!

Long lines are longer than a lunge line, I think. Mine are ayway.

Mine are Monty Roberts style ones, made by Aerborn 9 metres long, sold in a pack of two. I expect Richard Maxwell's are the same.

If you want to learn not to get in a tangle I recommend getting Richard Maxwells 2006 DVD (his latest I think). It includes very clear instruction. On the other hand, I practised using my grandchildren as horses.

Last edited:
I usually use driving reins if I'm just long reining from behind. Find lunge lines are so long and clumberson and I like to feel the contact I have instead of a mass of line!!

I do have a pair of lunge lines which I cut down to just for this reason!! as my driving reins are leather and a nightmare if its rainy!

:D

I use leather long lines, if you use lunge reins they are too light and can get in a knot easily plus it's hard to maintain a contact with them. If you use reins with some weight to them you can have a good contact. Driving reins aren't long enough to long rein properly and if you get into difficulty it's much easier with long reins to sort it out.

I prefer driving reins because I get in a muddle with 2 lungelines! Though would probably get better with practice, but can only do this with a saint-like horse!

Ditto, last time I tried long reining with two long lines, I nearly stacked it :eek:

I hate lunge lines as if it's wet they take up all the rain and become heavy.

I like leather driving reins, or I make my own with water proof yacht sheets (ropes) :ight at don't get caught by the wind and rain.

I have a psir of longlines that i use but i do find it easier with two lunglines

in tend to get in a picle with the longlines.

Isnt it funny. Wally and DavidH two experienced horse people are allowed to get into a muddle with their long lines.
But I as a beginner had to learn properly and at some expense? Proper lessons. And rude comments from my RI.
Indeed that is why I bought a pair and practised, using the grandchildren.
Thanks for warning me webbing lines will be too heavy in the wet, Wally. So far mine have never been near a real horse or a rainy day.

newrider.com