Long reining and lunging

Ally_clarke73

Sep 10, 2019
Hi, I’ve been trying to lunge my rather overweight pony but she kept on turning in so it was suggested I use 2 lines. I have clipped it onto the roller and threaded it through the big and she seemed to go ok. Then my niece who has a lot more experience than I do said it should be clipped onto the bit and threaded through the ring but Arlene seemed to find this too uncomfortable. Can it be done either way? I was sure this was how I was shown originally. Apologies for terrible photo I haven’t mastered juggling phone and 2 lines yet!! Thank you.

As the others have said it does need to go to the bit. If she's objecting then it may be that you're taking too much contact on it.

Reactions: Ally_clarke73
I sometimes clip to the bit on the opposite side then run up over the pole and back through the bit on the nearside. Or I clip through under the chin to the opposite side. If the horse is inexperienced clipping to the roller could be hard to accept and it maybe you could be causing the horse to turn in towards you more.

newrider.com