Long reining advice please.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Had a lesson on Wednesday on how to long rein, Belle was fab at it and I was reasonably good at it too, however, am curious as to what all you regular long reiners use?
The RI who I had the lesson from is an 'intelligent horsemanship' trainer, she got us going in her dually head collar as she said she doesn't like to use a bridle in case the horse goes off on one and gets jagged in the mouth with a bit, so as I don't own a dually and really can't afford one at the moment do you think I could long rein using my bitless bridle? Sorry for the dumb q's I'm certain Belle would be just fine in her bitted bridle as she's not really given to 'going off on one' but as I have my bitless bridle anyway thought I might try.

No advice but just wanted to ask - was it the first time you'd tried it then? Was it quite easy to get the hang of? It is something my vet mentioned being beneficial for helping keep madams weight down, but I don't know how to do it. Atm I really can't afford lessons, so was toying with the idea of just having a go. Maybe not that good a thought. There seems to be lots written about it in Horse and Rider mag and Your Horse - so. I did wonder, as they made it sound quite approachable.

Yes Trewsers it was the first time I'd tried it, I found it quite easy but, Belle is a quiet laid back girl, I imagine I would find it much harder with a more reactive horse as you'd have less time to react yourself, I think it helped that I'd done a lot of ground work/free schooling with Belle anyway so was quite aware of where to be in relation to her, but I honestly found it easier than I thought I would (much easier than lunging) You should have a go, as long as your in an enclosed arena and stick to walk until your happy you can control her direction, whats the worse that can happen? I'm sure there are quite a few long rein experts on here though who will be able to break it all down into easy steps for you. :D

Reactions: Trewsers
It probably depends on the type of bit less you have?
I either use a rope halter or my lunge bridle which has a straight bar happy mouth on it. Bo would regularly go off on one, spin round in the lines and cause chaos, that was just him, but I never had a problem with any damage to his mouth.
Just give it a go T, it's pretty straight forward, you already know rein aids, you're just doing it from a different place, if mr T will help the first time it can help to have someone at the head to get you going but it's not essential.

Reactions: Trewsers
No I should think it would be fine, the weight of the rein might change the action of engage it sooner than normal on some settings but go easy and see what works

I love long-lining and have walked mile after mile behind most of my lot, past and present. Sadly Jack doesn't tolerate lines along his back, down his sides or around his back legs (deep-rooted terror, not just naughty) so I can't do it with him. I much prefer LL to lungeing.... although I have been guilty of two-rein circles in the school occasionally - just because it makes changes of direction more fluid. The babies start off wearing a bridle but LL'ing off the sides of their headcollars but eventually they all end up having lines clipped to their bit. Now that I think about it, I've had more problems with high-jinks when they have been lunged than long-lining.... in fact, I can't recall a single time any of them played up on two lines. Keep your hands light, just because the reins are longer doesn't mean you have any less control and the horse can still feel tiny movements at their end.

And for safety, wear a hat and gloves (and a BP if you usually wear one)

I love long-lining and have walked mile after mile behind most of my lot, past and present. Sadly Jack doesn't tolerate lines along his back, down his sides or around his back legs (deep-rooted terror, not just naughty) so I can't do it with him. I much prefer LL to lungeing.... although I have been guilty of two-rein circles in the school occasionally - just because it makes changes of direction more fluid. The babies start off wearing a bridle but LL'ing off the sides of their headcollars but eventually they all end up having lines clipped to their bit. Now that I think about it, I've had more problems with high-jinks when they have been lunged than long-lining.... in fact, I can't recall a single time any of them played up on two lines. Keep your hands light, just because the reins are longer doesn't mean you have any less control and the horse can still feel tiny movements at their end.

And for safety, wear a hat and gloves (and a BP if you usually wear one)

Hands light yes, always wear hat and gloves, learned that lesson the hard way years ago. Think Belle would be fine with a bit too so may try it once I've had a bit more practice. Thank you.

No I should think it would be fine, the weight of the rein might change the action of engage it sooner than normal on some settings but go easy and see what works
Thanks Jessey I always use it on the softest setting anyway. :)

Trews, its just like riding but your not on board! If you are comfy lunging, then start that with two lines and work your way behind the horse. Madam took to it no problems, but she understands the go/stop.

Trews, its just like riding but your not on board! If you are comfy lunging, then start that with two lines and work your way behind the horse. Madam took to it no problems, but she understands the go/stop.

Definitely going to have a go. Madam lunges really well and its something I can actually do confidently, I paid to have quite a few lessons and it is something I'm okay with, so sounds like ll might be good too. (Trots off to dig out old Horse n Rider articles.....)

Once I knew Ziggy I found he long reined beautifully. We use his usual bridle but I would be more than happy to long rein Mattie in his Dr Cook's bitless.

I just use a rope halter with reins on the knot under the chin. I also use a bit because I do ride with one. Always hat and gloves.

Longreining is just lunging with two reins but your not on a circle.

As much as I see why your instructor has said she doesn't like a bit because of their mouth, a dually tightens. So if your horse had a moment its going to tighten up with no way for you to offer the horse a release. A dually is something I would reach for if I needed to not something I would use day to day?

Thank you all for all your help, longreined Belle this morning but just used her normal bitted bridle, I loved it but boy did I get out of breath when we were trotting! Belle is ace at it and no strops like we get with lunging either, we did lots of transitions, figures of eights, circles, half circles and serpentines, shallow loops and navigated a maze of poles on the ground, forwards, backwards and working on sideways, she'll do turn on the forehand easy anyway, so we tried a bit of turn on the haunches today (not brilliantly) and a bit of shoulder in, the lovely thing is too most of the time I hardly had to touch the rein to move her as she was turning almost as quick I I started to think about it. I'm loving it! Bonus is It will get me fitter too.

Did you have a go Trewsers?

Thank you all for all your help, longreined Belle this morning but just used her normal bitted bridle, I loved it but boy did I get out of breath when we were trotting! Belle is ace at it and no strops like we get with lunging either, we did lots of transitions, figures of eights, circles, half circles and serpentines, shallow loops and navigated a maze of poles on the ground, forwards, backwards and working on sideways, she'll do turn on the forehand easy anyway, so we tried a bit of turn on the haunches today (not brilliantly) and a bit of shoulder in, the lovely thing is too most of the time I hardly had to touch the rein to move her as she was turning almost as quick I I started to think about it. I'm loving it! Bonus is It will get me fitter too.

Did you have a go Trewsers?

No, sadly OH is really busy and I feel I need a helper to get me going. Did have a lovely ride though early this morning, was heaven really, just a bit of sun and breeze and lots of birds for company!
Sounds like your long reining went really well!

Id much rather use a bitted bridle then something like a dually when long-reining. Has she ever driven Belle?

I love long reining, Ive always done alot of it with working more with driving horses, but regardless I think its a very under estimated way of schooling a horse, I especially like using it for working with horses who nap out hacking, or are hard work to hack alone.

Reactions: Ruskii
Id much rather use a bitted bridle then something like a dually when long-reining. Has she ever driven Belle?

I love long reining, Ive always done alot of it with working more with driving horses, but regardless I think its a very under estimated way of schooling a horse, I especially like using it for working with horses who nap out hacking, or are hard work to hack alone.

I have no idea if Belle has ever been driven but it wouldn't surprise me if she had, she picked up longreining so easily, she was born in Belgium in 1997 and came into this country in 2007, she was in the same hacking home for 5 years before she came to me in 2012. The lady who had her before me only ever hacked her which is probably why she's so good at it, but what she did in Belgium I've no idea, wouldn't know how to find out either :( the only thing I do know is that the vet who vetted her who is also Belgium said she knew a lot of her line and she came from really good old fashioned breeding stock. I know I wouldn't part with her, she's worth her weight in gold to me.

newrider.com