Long overdue Cheeky update

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
Been so preoccupied with Jazz's awesomeness, I hate to say that I'm not really doing much with Bug. All I've been doing with him is taking him out to hand graze while I read a couple of chapters of a book each day and smearing sunscream on his pink nose. He left a lovely greasy smear on my car window yesterday as he was so enchanted by his reflection in the tinted windows. :smug:

Anyway, he's been looking really sad on it lately and making my YO feel guilty every time she goes past his paddock. He's lost a bit of weight and even with all the flushes of grass and rain in the warm weather, he's not showing any signs of laminitis.

So, she suggested I put him in with two of her four year old geldings in a bigger hill paddock. Gives him a chance to exercise himself a bit more and eases the boredom. The paddock has older grass in it, so not too much for a lami prone gelding.

They had a jolly good run around, sorting out the pecking order. Cheeky came out on top.
Photos.... sorry for the crap quality, they were off my phone.
IMG127.jpg

IMG128.jpg

It was awesome to see the tail flying and him having a bloody good knees up after looking so bored and miserable for weeks.
IMG129.jpg

IMG130.jpg

IMG131.jpg

IMG132.jpg

IMG133.jpg

This is Jazz's paddock next door with two other mares. She didn't even look up from grazing.
whistle.gif
lmao.gif

IMG134.jpg

IMG135.jpg

They kept following him around like fascinated dogs. He just wanted to be left alone!
IMG136.jpg

The other two went over to discuss the new horse with the girls, while Cheeky breathed a sigh of relief.
IMG137.jpg

Note Jazz still not interested. :giggle:
Happy that they've left him in peace at last!
IMG138.jpg

IMG139.jpg

I think they'll be just fine. Will check on them again on Monday to see how they are.

He was footsore on Christmas day which was the last time that I rode him. He was like that when he went down with laminitis in 2005 so I put him on lock down again just to be on the safe side. He seems to be ok now (well judging from the hooning around!), but we're watching him like hawks. He was a bit overweight and not losing any due to a goiter when he had that acute attack years ago, but I still need to be vigilant.

Plus, most of my time is going on Jazz. With no competitions lined up until perhaps March or April with Cheeky, I'm only really getting on him once a week.
He's only 16 yet he's turned out with a 3 and a 4 year old! :D

oh how i wish it was summer here :(

just pondering...what if you emigrate with your horse....how do they cope with alternate seasons with regards to their coats?! do they adapt? i suppose if you moved in the winter and they had a thick winter coat you could clip it off...but then they would need to regrow a winter coat instead of a summer coat when it comes to the season change!

gosh i didnt realise he was 16! he looks so well!

newrider.com