Long or short boots

Without question short boots and half chaps. Long plastic boots restrict ankle movement. I use my long boots as makeshift wellies in the winter but by force of circumstance not choice.

Not to mention the effect long plastic boots have on the fragrance of feet!! Go for short leather boots and half chaps. Much better for your feet, and the noses of those around you when you take them off!!

Half chaps are fine for a first time buy but be aware that they are not acceptable for competitions except for some Pony Club events. Jod boots are generally worn by juniors. They are comfy tho. Aquacats are a good buy, they are grand for riding and keep the tootsies warm & dry in the mud.

Boots

Well it depends.

Short boots let you get a feel of the horses movement, and help you ride 'like one' with him, and if you wear half-chaps with them, they protect your legs from the stirrup leathers.

Long, rubber boots have theat molded feeling to them. It's hard to put your heel down in the stirrup, because the boot is not molded that way.

But, it all comes down to price, and since you are a beginner, I would invest in the cheapest, good quality boots you can find, whether it be short or tall.
And then, if you stick with horse riding, you can buy yourself a nice pair of short boots later!

Maci :)

Absolutely agree with Wally

I wore long rubber boots for many years quite happily but my last pair (top quality) made my feet absolutely stink from new! As a consequence, I went over to short boots (Aquacats) and close fitting half chaps. I have to say, the difference is incredible - with the half chaps I have so much more 'feel' for the side of my horse. I do leave the ankle part of my boots unlaced however, as I found that otherwise I had less freedom of ankle movement than with long boots. I don't compete, so dress convention is not an issue. The chaps should fit well though - my saddler had to reorder mine three times to get the correct leg length/width combination.

Best regards

Sally

It depends what you want to do, Daphne. I had a pair of long rubber boots, and once they softened round the ankle they were fine. They didn't make my feet smell, but maybe the newer ones are made of something different. If you're not competing, I'd say go for the paddock/riding boot lace-up ones because they look OK when you're not riding too. Chaps aren't really essential although they do look more grown up.

LONG

I always wear long boots - I don't like the feel of jodh boots. I've had mine for ages and they don't smell, fit comfortably, are thin enough for me to 'feel' the horse through, and are flexible at the ankle. They also serve to keep my legs warm in winter.

I have never ridden with long boots, however I have a friend who has. She ended up complaining sorely of everything from her knee down acheing. I have always worn paddock boots for riding, though I am buying a pair of dressage boots on the internet. I think paddock boots are very comfortable.

Long Boots

It depends what kind of long boot you get for comfort and warmth. If you just get a pair of rubber ones, of course the comforts not going to be there, neither is the warmth, but they still do work fine.

When you get more into it, you can purchase a pair of nice, thin leather ones, that gives around the ankle, so your foot can have a nice postition in the stirrup. And for the winter, a nice pair of winter riding boots are warm, and are usually long boots, as they keep your whole shin/calf warm.

Thanks for all the replies.
I will get some short boots first and then progress to longer ones. It is very confussing as my instructor thinks i should get long ones but someone else and of course NR members think i should try short ones. I now realize it is a personal preference when it comes to chosing foot wear. However, i am a little worried that short boots will slip through the strirrups because i am under the impression that they have a really smooth sole. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Daphne.

Don't worry. They wil not slip through. they are smooth so that they will slip out if you come off and get your foot stuck. it is a safety feature in your favour. have fun and enjoy your riding.

PS does anybody know anything about Le Chameau wellies. I have very thin shins and walk out of mormal wellies given an inch of mud. My riding boots by definition have not got any grip so I slide in the mud. They are supposed to be slim fitting but they are not slim priced!

[Edited by Mossy on 5th Jan 2001 at 08:20 PM]

I wear long rubber riding boots when it is wet as there is too much mud & water around to wear anything else but in the summer I wear short jod boots & half chaps.For me it comes down to practicalities. I by far prefer the short boots, & the weather to go with them!!!

Yvonne

Long Boots

I ride in long boots, because, like Shwojumper said, I don't like the feel of jodhpur boots. I feel more secure in longer boots, although I don't know why... Now I'm saving up for a pair of long, warm, winter riding boots, along with saving up for my new helmet... Ahh! So much money to save!! I can do it!

It's All Preference.

Boots

Daphne: Hope you don't feel like screaming "Too much information!" yet, because I can't resist putting my two cents in.

I wear an Ariat brand paddock boot (short boots, they lace up) and I can't say enough about them. They do not have a smooth sole, there is some texture on the bottom. I have no fear they'll slip through the stirrup, they feel quite solid and nice. They were costly: $160, but I love them to death.

They are comfortable on and off the saddle, and I would wear them with jeans and even some sportier long skirts.

I have worn mine without and with half chaps, and find they are just the best things going. I mention the brand name because I felt they are THE most comfortable shoe I have EVER put on. Especially good if you have high arches, since they give you lots and lots of support.

Best thing to do: go and try on EVERYTHING in the tack shop. (Don't look at the price, just try on). If you put on some shoes that make you go "ahhhh", then seriously consider them. $$$ are always an issue, but I have to say I have learned to go for it when the fit an the quality is right.

boots

for Mossy: I have thin legs and have le chameau wellies. They are fine, but they have just brought out ones which have buckle which I think would be ideal for people like us!

Further to my earlier comment about ankle movement in long rubber boots. I finally got back into short boots yesterday, worn with a ski-suit but never mind, and had to take the stirrups up a hole. The difference in ankle freedom is that marked. I find it much easier to get onto large horses when I have short boots on as well.
Thanks horscroft. Much appreciated. more saving i feel.

I've just bought myself a pair of half chaps, which I wear with my jod boots. I was amazed at the difference. My instructor recommended them to make me feel more secure when cantering. It really does work. I could never go back to wearing long rubber boots. Although I can see how the long leather ones must be really comfy.

I got my half chaps from the RideAway on-line shop. They are made by Dublin and only cost me £24, I would highly recommend them.

Now in MY opinion...:)

There is nothing like a good pair of pointy toed cowboy boots and a good pair of chinks or western chaps to ride in! The pointy toes get your foot out of the stirrup when you need it, especially in an emergency, and the chinks or chaps protect the legs from brush popping and the weather. Now over across the pond, y'all have a lot of wet weather don't you? Nothing like a good pair of oiled, leather, western chaps to keep the legs dry and warm! I'll convert some of you yet! Got another question for y'all. What in the world are "wellies" ? Happy Trails!

wellies

Are Wellington boots - varied lengths from ankle to knee of fairly loose boot made of rubber, ridged sole, lined with cotton usually, sometimes with a buckle fitment at the knee so you can slip the boot on and tighten it up. Le Chameau are REALLY expensive but look wonderful!

newrider.com