Long lining convert here!

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Just wanted to share my latest 'sucess' with Dolly:D

Mrs YO went on a 5 day NH course with Kelly Marks last week, and came back having learnt LOADS, armed with a Dually halter and a set of long lines....

She has taught me the basics and got Dolly and I long lining very nicely... I suspect Dolly has done it before;) I did try to do it once before with her, but got in a terrible muddle:rolleyes: but now I have a better idea of what I should be doing, it's going really well.

Dolly seems to enjoy it to, and is working in the closest thing I've seen to an outline since I've had her... we've been practicing doing turns and serpentines and figures of eight, as well as 'straight line' work and 'circle' work:)

It seems to me to be much better than lunging, for both me and her (neither of us get dizzy or end up with a crick neck!) and I'm hoping it will lead to her being a little more responsive in her downward transitions, as well as being a great way to excersise her (and me!) safely in this vile weather:D

All we need now is a round pen... which apparantly we will be getting just as soon as my YO's work out what to use to make it:)

Yay! Sounds like you have a pretty good yard owner there:D I like long lining too and don't do enough of it, it's a really valuable exercise and much more varied and versatile than lunging as you say . Rio knows what it's all about too, which helps!

I'm doing the same course in August, can't wait:)

Ooh - fantastic HC.... I feel a demo may be in order... :D

You have beaten me, I keep thinking I will give it a go and then I bottle out at all that walking (I know, I know I'm a lazy so-and-so :eek: )

Perhaps I will wait until I get shown the proper way..... :rolleyes:

Serpentines AND in outline.... I am truly fascinated... :)

Mrs YO and myself would be more than happy to give you a demo Jane- and you can have a go on Dolly as she is so forgiving even if you get it horribly wrong like I did today (lines wrapped round her legs, pony cantering around out of control, me being useless!) she will just bring herself to a stop and you can start again!:D

Yann... hopefully we will become a totally NH orientated yard with MORE liveries soon... I'll be doing the course myself at some point in the next year, and Mrs YO is planning on becoming a Reccomended Associate over the next couple of years:D

Another long lining afficionado :)

I would definitely recommend getting an RA out to give you some tips. We've just started doing lateral work on the long lines, it's great :) Saff actually canters better with the two reins than she does on the lunge!

I love the KM stuff and hope to be doing some courses some day ....

Not wanting to boast but... today we managed to get a nice turn on the forehand whilst longlining...deliberately:D We also managed some leg yielding, but I'm not entirely sure how... still trying to 're-play' what I was doing and what she was doing so I can re-create it another time:D

Blimmin marvellous thing this long lining thingy.... am planning to go on the 5 day KM course ASAP now:D

I am a longreigning convert, it's so musch easier than lunging on a single rein as I feel you have more control.
To begin with it's a bit confusing but once you have your system worked out it's fine.

I, personally, cannot see the point in lungeing, I always use two lines, you can lunge on a circle with two if you want, or you can go large, stop go back, turn on whichever end you fancy and I feel you get far, far better results and the horse cannot lean on the lunge.

Get in the habit of holding the lunge whip in the outside hand facing backwards, when on a circle, you can then use it or threaten by raising your elbow, the horse soon learns that a raised elbow means go on!

lunging is a good precursor to long reining when breaking a horse in, it teaches them to work away from you and intorduces vocal commands. otherwise i don't do it

Smoore it took me a while and a considerable amount of practice.
it's quite tricky so try it in a confined space with a tried and trusted horse, preferably with experienced guidence too :)

Smoore, where abouts in N. Somerset are you? I'd be happy for you to come and watch me with Dolly, and have a go on her, and if you are happy with my 'not exactly experienced' self, I could come and help you try it with yours:D PM if you don't want to give your exact location on the board;)

You know I am planning on becoming a long reining champion now, since Skeeter is so good at it, and I am saddleless for a few more months. At first I thought I would just learn the basics, but now that it will be the focus I'll continue lessons with my instructor and get some books too!

So we can post endlessly on here about our long reining successes! Good for you and Dolly! :D

That is fab HC. I bought the 'stuff' but never did it. Havn't even lunged the boy for weeks.

Are you using the dually halter too?

Does Dolly take to it ok?

xx

Not HC but I'll answer anyway :p

I use the Dually for long lining and the Monty Roberts long lines which are much nicer than the lunge reins that I used to use! Saff took to it like a duck to water and seems to really enjoy it. It also gives me an opportunity to work on my body language as she's very sensitive and will definitely tell me when I'm doing something wrong :D

Thanks Baymare! Dolly took very well to the Dually, doesn't mind it at all and in fact works better in that than in her bridle... considering attempting to ride her in it once saddle sorted:D

I have to do some more 'learning' for sure... I was obviously getting my body language very wrong yesterday, we were all over the place... but it may have had something to do with the wind too!:D

AHA!! You ARE doing something in this windy weather then!
The lady who does Monty R. stuff here on the yard showed me long-lining, and I could see the benefits. I HATE LUNGEING. Anyway, it's not good for the horse, apparently, since the cues to listen are met with a cue to turn away-or something.

MY RI said I'd get in too much of a muddle with long lines and I got discouraged. it sounds like you are doing a BRILLIANT JOB HC!

It's Friday, bottle of jacob'screek, hence all the capitals, hic!:rolleyes:

Oh, LD, I'm jealous! Couldn't afford me jacobs creek this week...:rolleyes: Besides which I'm worried about getting name as a lush I'm so often p!ssed on here!

Don't think I'll be long lining in the wind again soon....:eek:

newrider.com