Loaning a horse/pony...following Cobmums post

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
A mother of an 12 yo girl I have taught for years ( and mother is a non horsey friend) has been pushed into a difficult situation. She was offered a loan pony for daughter at £20 a week to be kept at the friend of the owners yard near her home and daughter went and tried the pony over a week. The day they went to sign the agreement other people were there trying the pony and the owner said she had decided to sell so mother rather than upset daughter bought pony!. ( I know it is mad, but for £500 for an 11.2 pony she obviously thought it was the best thing to do at the time)

Now yard owner has now said £20 is rent and she needs to stable pony overnight so needs hay and bedding. Inexperienced family find themself with pony too small for daughter ( she rides one of my 15hh and that is about right), cannot keep pony out 24/7 and have bills they cannot meet.

They have borrowed tack but before this happened I had already talked to the mum about the true cost of keep and her view was they just could not do this.Yes I could resolve everything by sugesting the pony comes as a working livery but not only do I not do that but it is that not what the child wants (several friends galloping a pony round a field is not my idea of sensible use of a working livery).

How do I compromise Mum being friend and my professional view??

personal opinion to be straight up with your views obviously in a caring way but to sugar coat it won't help. Offer your views and opinions on how to fix the situation even if it means suggesting selling.

Personally I would explain that maybe the pony doesn't suit the childs height/ability etc ...as her RI I think you are well within your rights to say that.

I wouldn't offer the working livery but would if they 'asked' you about it I would explain that the pony wouldn't be able to do the workload her daughter wants to do AND be a working livery or simply that you have no use for a working livery that size/type/ whatever.

I would suggest that they look around for grass livery but also make sure you mention that you don't offer grass livery (if you don't want it as a livery)

Maybe offer to help sell it for them or at least tell them about a few places to advertise, they would prob get their £500 back at least.

I think, unfortunatley you would be best not to say or do too much unless asked specifically as like you can see the situ ending in tears and you really don't want to get caught up in it, even as a friend.

Sometimes it's hard to do what's best but when it comes to finances that might be the best case?.

Hope your friend and daughter figure out some sort of arrangement that suits all...and the pony!

Everyone makes mistakes don't they? I know I have!

Being a friend, as well as her child being your student, I would sit them down and tell them what you think, as harsh as you like, as a professional.
However, after that's been said I would tell them what there options are in your opinion, as a friend. Help them where you can and guide them, hopefully the horse will find a suitable home, they will suffer slightly in their pocket to add to the lesson, but with you not compromising your friendship.

newrider.com