Loading to go home

Rentabugg

Nov 22, 2013
Lancashire
Had a lovely day at a Kelly Marks indoor Trec competition today, daughters pony came second place in intermediate, but really didn't want to load to go home, he obviously had such a great time he wanted to stay!!

He has done this before, we did a Trec at Delamere Forest, again enjoyed himself so much he didn't want to come home...

He loads himself to go, walks on, not a care in the world.

We came home today, and daughter had him on and off while she just held the end of the lead rope.....so why does he not want to load to come home when we are at a venue??? He does eventually load, but not without a big song and dance that's lasts about an hour and a half :banghead:

Gosh I will watch this with interest. A friend's horse, an old ex-show Welsh D, has this habit, and it means she never takes him anywhere because she is so embarrassed and distressed by his refusal to load to go home.

Gosh I will watch this with interest.

Me too!

Raf went through a phase of being a bit difficult to load to go home. He's ok again now but I think it's quite common - we see a lot of people having difficulty going home from endurance events, especially when you're parked on a field with lots of lush grass!

Can't give any useful advice as Raf just sort of got over it and he was never too bad, but I'd love to know what causes it.

After refusing lots of help, whips and lunge lines, a man walked over with a lunge whip and asked did we need any help....I was red faced, tired and a bit grubby at this point, didn't want to offend but neither did I want the pony whipped on to the box.

However, he just used his man strength to edge pony on bit by bit, but irritated his feet with the lunge whip everytime he came a bit 'stuck' pony was on in less than three mins....

Pone is not called 'evil genius' for nothing! I do believe he just likes to make a twit out of me :redface:

I feel for you, I really do.

I had this on the last fun ride we went on when loading to come home. OH was in a rush and wanted us to load pdq and Tobes wanted to graze. Neither got their own way, but it took an hour and a half anyway!

Ben went through a stage of doing this. He was fine to go out, but coming home he just stood at the bottom of the box and planted. I solved this by simply not letting him stand still and moving his feet in every direction as long as he was not standing still. After doing several small circles in both direction, backing up, walking forward and marching around the lorry park he was pleased to walk on the box for a rest! We haven't had a problem since.

newrider.com