Livery Yards-What do you like/dislike

chickitta

Sep 6, 2008
Berkshire...
As horse owners i'm sure we're all aware of the trials and tribulations of the livery yard :eek: What are your likes and dislikes about where you keep your horse :rolleyes:

I love my livery yard, its not very big only 17 horses and 7 of them belong to the yard owner so not many liveries.

Everyone is really friendly but of course like any livery yard theres gossiping etc which i cant stand and never get involved with. I do like it there and even moved house just to be closer to this yard. The only thing i dont like is feeling like im being watched whenever i do something. Like riding in the school..

I try to go up in the afternoon when no one is about, only the YO. It gets quite busy in the evenings.

But other than that, i love it. Its nice to know there's always someone around if i ever need help/advice :)

I love my livery yard. Just me & my friend and our 4 horses who all live together in the same field.
Best Bits
All live out 24/7
No poo picking
Auto water
Electric
Park cars in barn so in the middle of winter can feed horses in a pair of white trainers.
No gossips/trouble makers
No one to tell us what to do
Bloke who owns the land doesn't live there so we really are on our own
Peace and tranquility:cool:

Worst Bits
Because we don t have to put stuff away coz there is no one else to use it we tend to forget where we put stuff-yesterday lost 2 leadropes

I love my livery yard :D

Best bits:

Everyone is friendly
No-one thinks they are better than anyone else
Everyone asks for help if they are stuck (so no horses suffer through ignorance)
YO is brill and very accomodating
Nice facilities
Plenty of grazing
Quite laid back atmosphere

Worst bits:

No indoor......that's it!! But I am waterproof so it's ok!!

Good points

Big yard around 30-40 horses so there is normally atleast one person on the yard at all times.

We have two schools, jumps paddock.

Great hacking, everyone has there own bays for shavings and hay etc

Bad
Can be quite a bit of bitching and gossiping. Need to bring back the old XC course.

laurenxx

MY livery yard :

The closeness to home
The people, are only 6 of us but everyones lovely and really helpfull, Ive only been there a month and Ive already hacked out on horses that are not mine without their owner coming.
All year turn out.

Dislike
The YO's Dogs they NEVER shut up, 6 dobermans, 4 Jack russels and a weirmaraner, dont get me wrong I love dogs but these aint cuddly, your not allowed on the yard if they are loose :eek: And the jack russells steal my carrots :S lol
No schools.
Muddy and a bit of a mess :(
The field my boy is in is a riot, luckily were moving soon!
The list goes on.

Is a bit worrying when the pros outlist the cons :(

I love my livery yard. Just me & my friend and our 4 horses who all live together in the same field.
Best Bits
All live out 24/7
No poo picking
Auto water
Electric
Park cars in barn so in the middle of winter can feed horses in a pair of white trainers.
No gossips/trouble makers
No one to tell us what to do
Bloke who owns the land doesn't live there so we really are on our own
Peace and tranquility:cool:

Worst Bits
Because we don t have to put stuff away coz there is no one else to use it we tend to forget where we put stuff-yesterday lost 2 leadropes

If that's your worst bit you are pretty well off! Hope I can find something like that one day...

best bits
Good price esp with all hay included
Friendly people esp YO
Excellent RI comes every friday
Brilliant safe off-road hacking all around
Got my own paddocks and can do what i like with them
YO chain harrows every week so no poo picking
Good well draining flat paddocks
Big stables

Worst bits
School doesnt drain very well throughout winter (YO promises to fix it this yr)
Theres always new horses turning up on yard (YO and another lady like to buy and breed/sell etc) so i get concerned about diseases spreading etc
People borrow wheelbarrows/brushes/rakes....they go missing or get broken :mad:
Stallions on the yard (although very well behaved) they get turned out at night in the school...so if i want to ride early in the morning before YO arrives then i cant use the school :(
People use my stable when im not there....dont mind but they dont clean up after!!! (mine out 24/7 so are never in it!)
Tiny car park...but people still park there and block my entrance to the field gate! arghh!! why cant people just park on the lane like me?!!!

even though things frustrate me, i still LOVE it there and totally understand that no-where is perfect!!

We found it by being fed up at livery yards so asking local farmers if they would rent us some land. One said yes and we have about 7 acres, a barn the size of 8 stables with lighting underneath and we pay less than we did on a livery yard.

Ask around the worst they can say is no

newrider.com