Livery, Diy/part/full Whats What?

Brunie

HORSE LOVER...
Sep 4, 2006
Redditch Worcestershire
Hi
Haven't posted for a while, but some of you may remember ;- Bought Henry in Nov big 16.3 IDXTB over weight.. had bad dreams 1st couple of weeks... had to move him in Dec had him 9 weeks and lunging well coming on great. BUT I am a total wreck and really struggling with 3 kids hubby working away DIY livery and work and house etc...

Have looked into PART AND FULL livery, please can someone give me a clue to what should and shouldn't be included cause it is costing me a fortune as i am paying extra for lunges x4 a week, as still learning....
He is still so lovely and want to do my best for him... but my kids have to have there mommy around.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME......
:eek:

Are you looking to keep him on full livery? If you are, then you pay for literally everything - ie - mucking out, grooming, feeding, (sometimes exercise is included as is tack cleaning). Turning out and bringing in, hay straw,) On saying exercise is included - at many yards now they charge extra for it. Full livery is very expensive can be up to £200 per week in some areas. Part Livery (which is cheaper) is the same as above with you doing the riding and often the mucking out.
Depending on where you live, prices vary from about £80 per week (my area) (Part livery) - so, yours could be different I guess.
Falcon's full livery from grass during the week but that's not expensive at all. I have to pay though for someone to ride him which costs £20 an hour Tuesday and Thursday. But - hopefully that wont be for much longer then I can do it myself.........

Last edited:
Just been having this conversation this morning with people on my yard. YO mentioned the same price for full livery as fellpony, i.e £200 pw, but then we are in the same area. I think I am on the category of assisted grass DIY which means I do everything when I can but get help two days a week. It costs about £30 p.w.

Hi - I live in Reditch too! I actually don't keep a horse any more - I sold the last one about 2 years ago, so my prices may be a bit out of date... I used to keep mine further across, towards the Hockley/Claverdon area.

I had mine on part livery, which included everything except riding and grooming, and cost £85 per week. On full livery, including being ridden 6 days a week, it was £120. DIY round here varies a bit, but seems to be between 20 and 30, depending on facilities.

You need to talk to the yard about what is/isn't included though, as everyone seems to have a different definition! And obviously it helps if they can be flexible. Lots of yards do assisted DIY, which normally means that they do some of the jobs and you do others - at my last yard you could opt to have them do either mornings or evenings and you did the other end of the day.

Have you thought about a sharer to alleviate the strain (and help the bank balance :))? If you can find someone you get on with, it works really well.

Ross

Ross
Thanks for that. Everyone at the yard are great, and as I am still learning as Henry is our first horse!! he has had to be lunged 4 times a week as we have been getting him right and unfortunately was sold as a novice and of course he isn't, his right shoulder was givinghim a problem so I have also sort that out, so have had a lot of help. But I can no longer afford to do it all but need the extra help for him - he is so lovely a great natured, just needs re starting and I need to learn to trust a little, but my mother instincts stop me as I think of the worse all the time. Me and my daughter have him but she is only 12. I pay 22.50 DIY but there are lots of things of top and the price is just increasing..... May consider part sharing just need to think of the risks??

I think it varies from yard to yard and area to area. what is included.

Full livery around here is everything except grooming, tack cleaning and riding. Bizarrly my yard does not pick feet out though, which many yards would do. I pay £65 a week for that, which I don't think is bad, and actually doesn't work out that much more than DIY around here.

He sounds lovely, but maybe a bit more than you bargained for - my advice would be, if you can afford it, to find a yard where there is plenty of support at hand, so you can help to sort some of his issues out. At my yard, and one of the reasons as I first-timer-with-bolshy-mare moved there, there is always plenty of experienced FOC advice from the YO's and their team. It really has been worth every penny.

newrider.com