Livery advice needed

Ammut

Oct 12, 2015
Apologies if I have put this in the wrong section - this is my first post.

I need a bit of urgent help if poss please?

I moved to a new livery yard on sat and have encountered problems immediately sadly. I have a few questions if anyone can help I would be grateful, thanks.

1. I could not move to the new yard until Sat just gone but the person running the yard has demanded I start paying from the previous Tues even though my horses were not Going to be at the premises until a later date. Can she demand money for when they hadn't even arrived? She knew I was desperate for a new home for my horses and as it's a new yard started threatening to give my stables away if I didn't pay from then, even though I could not get the horses to the yard until a later date. It's a new yard and she complained she was loosing money, as if it was my fault she has many empty stables. From experience livery runs from the date you arrive normally paid in advance. She's now demanding I pay another week tomorrow when they've only been there a day and a half.

2. As soon as I arrived I discovered the person running the yard had changed what I agreed on regarding turnout of the horses. The biggest concern I had was being able to keep the horses out all year around, of course I would naturally bring the horses in if the weather was bad. This is a big issue as I have a very elderly horse with arthritis who can not spend long periods locked in a stable. She said it was fine to keep them turned out. Upon arriving I discovered from another livery that they had been told the same as me, however had immediately been told upon arriving she had to bring her horses in at night as did I. She also has a horse with arthritis like me and needs to keep it out as much as possible. If I had been told of this I would not have moved the horses to the yard. Not only is this detrimental to one horse, the others legs swell when stood in so I will have 2 horses in considerable pain. Also I am disabled and can not physically muck out 4 stables every day for the next 6 months hence why I needed also to keep them out. Where do I stand on this point?

3. Upon questioning the proprietor she got extremely nasty and was rude to me immediately in front of my young son. I had not even had the horses there for 24 hours. She said that she didn't care if I left again as she has plenty of other people interested (they are welcome to it) and accused me of messing her about as I couldn't get transport to get the horses to the yard even though I never said what day I was moving them before she demanded I pay for the horses.

I want to move immediately now but shes demanding a months notice. With the extra costs of bedding/ hay/ feed / petrol for 20 mile daily round trips I wasn't expecting and the vets bills I will have due to keeping the horses locked in every night I can not afford this. I feel our agreement was changed without my permission or any discussion. Of course on every point she states she said no such thing.

4. I am being overcharged on each stable as she told me different prices when I met her if I wanted bedding from her, which I did not.

I feel I've been tricked into moving my horses to this yard and want to leave asap. I hope someone can give me some advice as it's been 13 years since I used a livery yard and it wasn't through choice that I had to sadly.

Thanks in advance x

Have you signed a contract? Or do you have sight of a contract? Do you have anything written down at all which states the terms and conditions of the livery?

If not, she doesn't have any legal right to tell you that you need to give a months notice, or that you should have been paying from last Tuesday. I would personally find somewhere else asap and just pay her for the number of days you have been at her yard.

I agree - no contract, no notice period required.

I'd move your horses as quickly as possible and pay her for the days that you've been there. Hope you get it resolved soon - there are few things in life so distressing as inhospitable livery yard owners / managers.....

Yep I'd be leaving too, infact as soon as I found new livery I'd pay what I owed (without her added extras) and she wouldn't see me or my horses for dust!!! x

I would say if there was a verbal contract which included to pay monthly then a months notice could be expected, but given she has already changed the contract with no discussion she has voided that and tough titties to her, I would probably leave quickly and quietly (as it sounds like they are a law-un-to-themselves and could get quite nasty over it) and only pay for the time you were there.

Reactions: AliciaA and marj
What an awful woman! I'm guessing there is no written contract - as it sounds like she is in breach of so much if it already - so I'd just leave ASAP!

She refused to let me put the horses in the fields until I signed a contract ie. Forced me to as I had already arrived and could not go back, but as I agree with all of you, she changed our agreement without discussing it I see this as void. I will be leaving as fast as possible but now will have problems finding some where else. The stress has made me so ill, I've been sick for 24 hours now and beside myself with worry :-(

read your contract thoroughly to see what you have signed and agreed to- unfortunately that contract will stand up in a court of law
they can charge from when you said you wanted the field even if there isn't a horse on there
is the contract dated ?

If there is a written contract that you have signed agreeing to the changes you could definitely put yourself in line for a law suit if you then breach it, regardless of what your verbal contract was before hand :(

I am sorry to read about your problems. I had always assumed it was an unwritten rule to pay a retainer on places so I'm not massively surprised she asked for payment for a period before you arrived. We had no written or verbal contract with our last livery yet we were expected to pay a months notice (we left 2 days into the months notice period but paid up the rest as we just wanted away!). Agree with the others, I'd be getting out of there pdq! Good luck!

If the contract supports her side of the story I would go straight to Citizens Advice. I expect that being forced into the contract will void it, but it would be good to be certain.

ETA what a terrible way to behave to anyone. You have all my sympathy.

newrider.com