Liverpool bit Esther

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
I put Rhi back into her Liverpool bit and you can feel the difference in her going. She simply does not respect the bit at all. I was going to try it on the next space down but the reins are too thick and will not go through :mad: So for now it is back to her riding bit. Oh and she would not stop so I pointed her att he fence and she stopped a few steps away and stood for a while. However when I tried her again she simply would not do it and we ended up in against the fence. The best bit of course was when I took her into the paddock as I had to get both gates open. We spent five minutes trying to get through the first gate as she kept trying to walk off :eek: Through the second gate I dropped the crop on the floor and she stood facing into the field whilst i retrieved it :D After that it was forget it.

When I took her back upto the yard our yard owner decided to hpe onto the cart and take her for a spin. He has never drove before but I think I may have lost my pony as he took her down the bottom twice :eek:

Looks like the riding bit is the way to go for the moment then:D I suspect she is just leaning on the mullen mouth Liverpool which she can't do as much in the jointed snaffle. Stay in the snaffle then, there is plenty of time to look into 'acceptable' alternatives (Wilson/jointed Liverpool etc) later - for the moment stay in what she likes! She certainly went well in the snaffle yesterday. I think the clicker training (or similar) idea is the way to go - both you and I had the feeling that the Liverpool, even on a stronger setting, was not the way to go with her anyway. Oh and I had that problem with my first harness and bit (reins being too thick for the slots of the Liverpool) if you did come back to some type of Liverpool later you might need to shop around for one with wider slots (the Cottage Craft one fitted my original reins where other brands didn't).

What size liverpool have do you need? What size slots do you need for your reins to fit, I've got several spares that might do you.

I could make you a rein splice with narrower billets to fit the slots in your bit if you tell me the dimentions of the reins and the bit you have.

Re: duh......

Originally posted by Horsey Bird
Miriam
When I saw the title of your post I thought "oooh Miriams bought a new horse called Liverpool and it bit Esther".

Blonde day today.....

I am now rolling on the floor with laughter. I never thought of that.

Wally I will have a look

Wally I have had a look at the bit and reins. The bit is a 6in and the slots are only half an inch wide and the reins are 1in wide. No the wonder they won't fit. I will be looking for a jointed one preferably.

Now Esther you have me worried as to whether I have measured it right :eek: although I did check how to measure before I did :p

Anyway she must have a big gob if she is self oppinionated (sp) :D

6 inch is big, did you measure the inner length of the bar, even fatty horsepig, who has a big gob takes a 5.5 inch, that's the biggest I have, I have a 6 inch jointed horseshoe Wilson snaffle (really tasteless) but you're welcome to try it.

PM me if you want me to post it to you to try.

Ok I got it wrong although I have been told she does have a big mouth for a little pony :eek: To put he record straight her bit is only five inches and I did mention that I was unsure if it seemed a bit small for her and was told she could really do with a five and a half although she could get away with a five. I got it wrong :eek:

That sounds a better size:D I almost ordered Pablo a rug 3" too small this year as I too had got my measurements mixed up - I was convinced he takes a 6ft3" but he actually wears a 6ft6", good job Stephen convinced me to check the size on the old rug label before I ordered a new one:eek: :D

newrider.com