Little update on Mac and me

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
It's a long time since I posted anything about Mac and me but not a lot has been happening really. For about 5 months I haven't ridden at all due to hip problems and have just been told I need a replacement so I've decided to try and ride while I still can. Due to Mac's height and width getting on is a problem but my new steps have helped a bit with that and so far I have done a couple of short hacks, mostly in walk with a little bit of trotting, and a few sessions of 15 mins or so in the school, again mostly in walk. There was a thread recently about Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups helping wonky joints so I bought a pair but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I take inspiration from members on here who have worse problems than me but haven't given up like I temporarily did.

My RI has been riding Mac for me 3 times a week, either schooling, lunging or hacking, and has been continuing to do dressage shows with him. She qualified him for Novice and Elementary Championships both locally and at Hickstead. Today was the local Championship and they were 3rd in the Novice and 4th in the Elementary. We won't be going to Hickstead, we did
last year, but it's enough to know that he qualified for it (when I say 'we' I'm including my RI).

I'm organising in-house dressage shows for the liveries at our yard and am trying to get everything in place in case I'm out of action for a while and
need to hand over to someone else.

That's about it really - not a lot, is it.

Here are a couple of pictures of me and Mac taken this morning just before we left for the show, and one of Mac taken at the last show just because I liked the way he was standing.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 34
ooo he is lovely!

my OH has dodgy hips, been told he will need a re-surfacing next year...he is only just turned 30 :( he has recently taking up riding again as we are fortunate to be able to borrow a lightweight 'narrow' 17h hunter. he is still in pain but copes with up to an hour in walk and trot.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with those stirrups :)

Lovely to see an update, and Mac looking so handsome and smart:smile:

Wishing you well with your op, hope your back riding to some degree soon:smile:

Last edited:
ooo he is lovely!

my OH has dodgy hips, been told he will need a re-surfacing next year...he is only just turned 30 :( he has recently taking up riding again as we are fortunate to be able to borrow a lightweight 'narrow' 17h hunter. he is still in pain but copes with up to an hour in walk and trot.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with those stirrups :)

Glad you like Mac.

Sorry to hear about your OH - he's young to have problems in his hips. Has he put them under strain doing sporty things?

l'm trying the stirrups this week and will let you know how it goes.

Lovely to see an update, and Mac looking so handsome and smart:smile:

Wishing you well with your op, hope your bad riding to some degree soon:smile:

It's amazing what a bit of a trim and some plaits can do for a horse! He only looks like this on show days. I did give him a bath the day before which is quite a big job. We don't have a hose so doing a horse Mac's size takes a lot of buckets of water. Also we can't use normal horse shampoos as all the waste water fom the yard drains into ditches and then into ponds which are used for fishing. So I use eco fish friendly washing up liquid which seems to do a good job.

I don't when the op will be yet, it was only confirmed last week but I have already been given an appointment for pre-op session in two weeks time so hopefully I'll find out then wen it will be.

I know 2 people recovering from the same op, one is amazed at how good he feels so quickly and will be off sticks in a week, (4 weeks total) and the other is also feeling good, but not as a active person as the first one.

I am impressed still with the cleaness, I will Sam looked like that even after a bath:happy:

newrider.com