Little Bug*er - My Cob (Sorry this is long)

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I've had my Irish HW Cob for 6 months and adore him to bits, however we've started a new 'thing' which I want to nip in the bud now before it becomes a problem :eek:

We have our own trailer that we use and since I've had him he's been in it, 6 times. First three times he was brilliant, straight up would eat his haynet for about 5 mins while the other horse (who's supposed to be the problem loader but has been an angel the lately !) gets loaded.

We moved yards 3 weeks ago and since riding through the village once and both horses slipping and sliding on the road no way in hell was I going to ride through there again til they had road nails put on, so we have trailered them to two car parks in the New Forest (it's literally a 30 min walk through the village or a 10 min trailer ride) so his journeys have been short. The 4th time he was being loaded was when we were loading him up to go home and he hesitated on the ramp, I didnt think anything of it, as a push on the bum got him up and in. This morning we trailered them out, and the little bugger wouldnt walk up the ramp, he just stood staring at me, with a defiant 'No' look on his face. After 5 mins of 'Move it horse!' and push on the bum he slowly walked in, (He was never struck or smacked to get him in, I wouldnt ever do that) I put the strap across his bum to keep him in, while we loaded the other horse, there was a delay of about 5 mins before the other horse was loaded, but he decided he was going to back himself out ! :eek: He took one step back, felt the strap, but just barged through it, breaking it anyway ! I was at the ramp end of the trailer though so easily got his lead rope with the snapped binder twine on it.

We did get him back on, but I stayed with him at his head whilst my husband loaded his horse, (who loaded beautifully ! :rolleyes: ) and stayed with them, whilst I hot footed it round to the ramp to lift it up.

Got to hacking destination, had a LOVELY 45 min ride. Then it came to load him up, we decided to put my OH's horse in first, and I then load the cob up, well he wouldnt even put a foot on the ramp :mad: He kept walking off to the side or wouldnt even straight up for the ramp.

He wasnt dancing around at all, or being restless, it was just a 'I will NOT put a foot on the ramp' luckily a horsey person saw us having trouble and she took his head, he walked two steps up the ramp and wouldnt move any more, after 5 mins of being a prat (he never once tried to twist his head around or look elsewhere, he kept looking in the trailer) he s-l-o-w-l-y walked in.

Got him home - me now paranoid he wont ever load again. Unloaded him and sorted them out, but now had the trailer open, with the front ramp down as well, so it was all open and airy. About an hour after we got home, I wanted to see if he would even walk through the trailer. I didnt really want to use a food bucket as he had never had to use one before, but I did have a pocket full of titbits that he likes, tried to lure him in with that, he put his front feet on the ramp but but he still wouldnt put his hind feet on the ramp.

I gave in, asked him to walk back and my husband got me his dinner bowl with a scoop of nuts in it. Well that worked, for every 2 steps he took in he got a mouthful to munch on, then it was lured a bit more for him. Once he was in, he was standing in the trailer enjoying a snack, then I walked him through it, we did this once more and he was a lot easier the second time. Decided to try it again but this time completely free of a lead rope, but with the partition put back into the middle of the trailer and the chest bar put up, grooms door open. So picture the scene, small yard with one hungry cob, one owner silently praying he'll go in and one husband with a smile on his face enjoying the entertainment, that his wife and her horse are providing.

I walked into the trailer put the feed bowl down and then turned to look out the side of the trailer (the unloading ramp was down) at something going on in the paddock, I heard the sound though of the cob walking around the trailer, next thing I know he's stuck his head through the grooms door and eating the food in the bowl ! Little smarty pants. That got quickly pulled away and the grooms door shut.

After being shown the bowl and putting the bowl down again though, he did come round to the back of the trailer of his own accord (the entire time I stayed in the trailer) and he loaded himself. A successful result. I let him eat the last three mouthful of nuts then unloaded him and put him back in the field. Pleased with myself that eventually he loaded by himself -albeit it was for food. But he did go on easily and successfully.

My question now is what do I do next time I go to load him in the trailer ? Why did he go from loading fine to being a pain in the arse ? Should I lure him again with some food ? Or just take the trailer up there again, load him in it, then unload him straight away ?

I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do next. Thanks :)

PS Sorry it's long I really waffle on :eek: :eek:

do as you did(food encouragement) a few more times to get him to load himself. then try leading him in with some food at the front of the trailer. then just with the titbits and finally you should be back to how he used to be.

well done for persevering - i had a similar problem and ended up at a cross country course, in the pitch black, trying to load for 2 hours!

i did what you did, encourage with food and gradually worked towards doing it without.

the main thing that helped was loading very regularly, i loaded her twice a week and took her out even if it was just round the block!! it is time consuming but worth it. my horse now loads herself, literally !

newrider.com