Little Bit Nervous....

KW23

Nov 28, 2007
Dorset.....
Hello,

I don't post too often, but am sitting at work and starting to feel a little nervous so thought I would see if anyone has any advice

After a fall a couple of years ago, I lost my confidence. I stopped riding, and having anything to do with horses. Over the past 18 months I have been helping a local lady with her youngsters and have become a lot more confident. Have ridden a few times, but now feel that I want to get back into riding....SO I am going to try out a horse tonight, the owner of who is looking for a rider....

I think that the nerves will disappear as soon as I go up there, as have been chatting to the owner and have been completely honest about myself.....anyone got any good ways of calming the butterflys??

Thanks!!

xxx

But is it butterflies because you are nervous or because you could be just a little bit excited too. ;):D

Be honest with the owner, do loads of talking while you are riding and it will help take your mind off things. Good luck, remember to smile and have fun. :)

Rescue remedy works a treat to get rid of nerves.

Just remember to breath and be aware that you don't have to do anything you don't feel comfortable doing.

You'll be fine!

Let us know how you get on.:)

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I did not end up going last night, as the weather was so awful the owner cancelled. Going up tonight after work now.

I think that I am possibly a little excited - it's been a while since I have thought I could have the ability to do this....

Why is it when you get older your fear becomes stronger?! When I was younger I had no fear at all!!

Only another 2 hours of wondering now....!

Will keep you posted!

I like the advice from others. Go with that.
Also, try rescue remedy to help settle nerves. If you dont have any to hand, I was alsways told that eating 2 banana's can help. I did this before my driving test and passed... not sure if it was the bananas though - but worth a shot!

I did it!!!!!!!

Got up to the yard, and went and got horse in from the field - nice full up 14.2 MW cob.....

Tacked up - didn't feel to nervous by this point.....so I bit the bullet and got on!!

Had a good little walk up the lane, which went really well. Horse was strong, but very responsive. Didn't bat an eyelid at the puddles, other horses, massive windmill etc etc...!!

Yard has a school, but someone was having a lesson, so am going back on Sunday as we have booked the school so am going to try out in there!!

Really pleased with myself for trying it, and am feeling very happy with myself for not feeling at all nervous once I was on!!

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement!!

x

newrider.com