Litter training a kitten!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Help! Our other cats took to the litter tray right from day one as 12 week old kittens. last night this little kitten decided to pee and poop on our bed! She won't go in the cat litter at all, either the new one or our older litter tray.

She is prob about 7 months old so I am guessing she may be difficult to teach....anyone got any methods?

However friendly and cute she is I do hope the vet says she microchipped and can go home! She is adorable but out other cats are a little stressed (although not as bad as I thought they could be!) if she isn't and we can't find her owner then we are hoping Nextdoor will have her, but they won't want her if she isn't litter trained!

Could you ope with scooping up her poop and putting it into a tray of her own? Sometime they don't like sharing a tray with other poop-ee's?

Yes done exactly that yesterday, fresh litter, new tray, put her poo in the tray...nothing seems to work! She's currently been using our old carpet in the third bedroom as a toilet spot - not as bad as our bed I have to admit!!! I do hope she's microchipped and can go home! I doubt she is though!!!

In my experience with this type of behaviour in cats is to limit their space first using a dog crate with a litter tray in a quiet room, when she uses it let her into just one room until she has established using the tray then if you want to allow her run of the house I'm afraid its a tray in each room. One of my cats was always dirty and I would find his mess in the most bizzare places. Some cats will always remain dirty.

well havent got the crate out of the shed yet, i am working from home today so have set up camp in the third bedroom, removed the little chair where she did a poop last night...we have covered the floor in puppy training pads and put the cat litter tray in the corner...i fed her and then waited....she took herself to the litter tray and did a wee and a poop!!! yey!!!

we need to get her litter trained so we can rehome her easier, i think she is absolutely adorable, the most loving brave kitten i've ever met but more than two cats is a bit much! mind you if she is microchipped (find out at 9:30) then she may be just going back to her owners!

Well just to update - it's only taken a few days of keeping her separate with in the bedroom and she's litter trained :) we left her out all day and night yesterday, and she took herself to the tray to do her business!

That's one problem solved...now to rehome her!

great, cats are usually very clean and don't like being messy.

we have 7 here and we have an older one who has always been a bit inconsitent but the others are all immaculately precise.

newrider.com