Light weight rain sheet

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I’m looking at an additional rain sheet purchase for the large ginger one this winter. He has a Shires ones but I thought I’d see what people on here recommend. Anything but pink lol though I don’t suppose he knows what colour he’s wearing or cares ?

Do you mean turnout or exercise?
For turnouts I go with the brand that fits but it's worth the little bit extra to go for a 1200d one, they last Ssooo much better and are much more waterproof. The weatherbeeta shape suits Jess and her rain sheet is 4 or 5 years old now but you would never know it :)
For exercise I really like the quality of my Luna Rider, it fits well and doesn't move around at all.

i have a derby house one which has no weight or lining, it has lasted very well. You often find that they are better with a 50gm one as sometimes they sweat up under the unlined ones. I use the Big Horse Shop ones for Buddy and Fal or Derby House for the others. I tend to buy in the DH sales. The donkeys have Fal or Amigos

Reactions: Trewsers
I find the Amigo ones really good, even the Amigo Mio has stood up to persistent heavy rain and that's so light that he's worn it in the summer. I just wish they had leg straps rather than a fillet string. I think I saw some on sale at Mole Valley this week - I walked by with my eyes averted since I don't need more rugs!

Reactions: Trewsers
Do you mean turnout or exercise?
For turnouts I go with the brand that fits but it's worth the little bit extra to go for a 1200d one, they last Ssooo much better and are much more waterproof. The weatherbeeta shape suits Jess and her rain sheet is 4 or 5 years old now but you would never know it :)
For exercise I really like the quality of my Luna Rider, it fits well and doesn't move around at all.

Sorry, for turnout, should have said.
Though now you've made me think with my new regime of working Zi in hand, maybe I ought to invest in an exercise sheet to beat the elements.

I find the Amigo ones really good, even the Amigo Mio has stood up to persistent heavy rain and that's so light that he's worn it in the summer. I just wish they had leg straps rather than a fillet string. I think I saw some on sale at Mole Valley this week - I walked by with my eyes averted since I don't need more rugs!

Do you not like the fillet string?

Do you not like the fillet string?

The fields at the yard are very exposed and windy and I do think leg straps are more secure in those conditions - particularly since the weekend helpers can be a bit slapdash and don't always pull tails over, though I suppose they could forget leg straps or not do them properly too. To be fair the only couple of times I've had a problem with the rug blowing over is when they've not done the fillet string, but then he does have a big heavy native tail.

The fields at the yard are very exposed and windy and I do think leg straps are more secure in those conditions - particularly since the weekend helpers can be a bit slapdash and don't always pull tails over, though I suppose they could forget leg straps or not do them properly too. To be fair the only couple of times I've had a problem with the rug blowing over is when they've not done the fillet string, but then he does have a big heavy native tail.

Yes I know what you mean about the wind. Sometimes Zi looks like an orange balloon as the wind gathers momentum under the rain sheet and lifts the back end (The Shires one we have has a string and not leg straps).
Though I didn't used to mind the ones with the leg straps - I do sometimes have a bit of paranoia about how they are fastened.

Cant remember what my lightweights are. I havent put them on for a while. I just go with whats in stock at the time. Generally not alot of choices when i go shopping. Think my lightweights are mainly shires maybe a weatherbeta.
I know ive got premiere, amigo, and weetherbeta in the medium/heavy weights.

Ive got some that have leg straps and some fillet. Most of the time its the belly straps i forget to do up. As i tend to do front, then rear, then under.

Its mainly a problem if one leg strap isnt done up or snaps. I find them wearing the rug crooked.
If you forget the filet and they put there bum to the wind. Ive seen the rug whip up over the back and land on the neck and head.

Cant remember what my lightweights are. I havent put them on for a while. I just go with whats in stock at the time. Generally not alot of choices when i go shopping. Think my lightweights are mainly shires maybe a weatherbeta.
I know ive got premiere, amigo, and weetherbeta in the medium/heavy weights.

Ive got some that have leg straps and some fillet. Most of the time its the belly straps i forget to do up. As i tend to do front, then rear, then under.

Its mainly a problem if one leg strap isnt done up or snaps. I find them wearing the rug crooked.
If you forget the filet and they put there bum to the wind. Ive seen the rug whip up over the back and land on the neck and head.

Yes the rug ended up on Chloe all skew whiff one winter - she didn't seem bothered but it wasn't doing her any good! And that was down to the fillet string and strong winds.

For fit on mine she has the Amigo and a Rhino. The Rhino is a good name for her let alone the rug!
I only have no fill, but go for the biggest denier you can. I find the higher the denier it sits that bit better. Could just be her shape.

Reactions: Jessey
For fit on mine she has the Amigo and a Rhino. The Rhino is a good name for her let alone the rug!
I only have no fill, but go for the biggest denier you can. I find the higher the denier it sits that bit better. Could just be her shape.
I find the same, the thicker material seems to hold the shape better and stop them pulling back etc.

newrider.com