Lice

Takeachillpill

May 26, 2024
LICE HELP!!!
We brought a youngster that was riddled with lice, we clipped her and treated with louse powder, a few days later bathed with dermoline shampoo and repeated this over a 2 week period. But yesterday I noticed they are back! I have put switch on her this time in the hope this will finish them off, but woke up this morning to it raining, so worried it won’t be effective.
Has anyone had any experience with using switch to kill lice? How long did it take to kill them and will it still work if the horse gets wet? I have been googling time of action to kill but I can’t seem to find any information on it.

I’ve used deosect which is pretty similar, rain shouldn’t stop it working. Just treat again twice more at 2 week intervals as most stuff won’t kill eggs, so you need to wait for them to hatch then get them!

I was trying to get deosect but it is out of stock everywhere unfortunately, the vet said switch would do the job. I’m gutted I seen live on her again yesterday, it many but still there. I will retreat weekly I think just to be on the safe side, fed up with them now and I’ve only had her 3 weeks. As long as the rain doesn’t stop it from working.
How long does it actually take to kill them?

Reactions: Jessey
I was trying to get deosect but it is out of stock everywhere unfortunately, the vet said switch would do the job. I’m gutted I seen live on her again yesterday, it many but still there. I will retreat weekly I think just to be on the safe side, fed up with them now and I’ve only had her 3 weeks. As long as the rain doesn’t stop it from working.
How long does it actually take to kill them?
It kills on contact so if put on yesterday it should have done its job before the rain anyway.

newrider.com