Lice or mites and treatment.

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
When Heathcliffe arrived he was covered in lice powder although on close inspection we found nothing.

Over the last week or so he has rubbed two patches on his side. Looking closely today I could see something tiny and beige in colour moving. I have never seen lice OR mites and am not too sure what they are.

I have covered them in lice powder just in case but really need some advice as to what they are and best course of treatment xxxx

Deosect!

I used it on Bella when she was crawling with lice and it was fantastic! Am also using it to control Inca's sweet itch.

I'm not sure how effective it is on mites but I'm not sure they can be seen by the human eye?

I got mine from the Mole Valley Farmers website, if you look it up on there it's got a pretty good explanation of what it covers, it's a liquid that you either spray or sponge on but is very strong so has to applied with gloves and any excess must be disposed of carefully.

I prefer to sponge it on to make sure the wind doesn't blow it in the wrong direction e.g. In my face

SCATS our local shop sell it at £34 for 250ml which is slightly dearer than on line but can get it tomorrow. I presume I will need to do all three?

Will I need a different strength of solution for each depending on size/weight?

Yep, but you only use 10ml diluted in 500ml water for a horse, ponies are less. So it ends up lasting forever.

Yes always do a patch test, i`ve seen a horse have a bad allergic reaction to Deosect.

The other thing i`ve used is Z-Itch .... it`s a pour on solution, so easy just mane and tail, ( a bit like spot on for dogs and cats lol) ..... http://www.z-itch.co.uk/ ... It predominantly sold for sweet itch, but contains the permethrin which is what kills the lice.

If you do get them both, don`t use them together as you`ll overdose ned on permethrin.

We use cattle Spot On. NEver hadany bother with it. There is a risk that they might get a skin reaction at the dose site, but we have never even had that.

Vet rang back and recommended either Deosect or Coopers Fly Spray as both contain the ingredient to kill the lice. He suggested if using Deosect to just put it along the back, mane and tail area and not cover them in it then repeat in two weeks time ? Does that sound right?

I too use a cattle spot on - but the coopers make. Here I buy mine at Scats. Horses have never suffered from it. Much easier too. 10ml spread over the horses croup (I don't put on under saddle area as it's oily) and voila horse is treated. Whenever they have been itchy through whatever, as a standard course I treat them for 'visitors'.

Vet rang back and recommended either Deosect or Coopers Fly Spray as both contain the ingredient to kill the lice. He suggested if using Deosect to just put it along the back, mane and tail area and not cover them in it then repeat in two weeks time ? Does that sound right?

Yep that sounds about right, echo others about doing a patch test first, it's pretty strong stuff (I'm sure I was high on it after doing 3 of them in a row! even though I did them all outside so there was plenty of ventilation).

We've just had an outbreak of lice on our yard thanks to a new little colt who arrived a couple of weeks ago :timebomb:

All the big uns have had lice powder on and for some reason the shetlands had to have some liquid stuff put on. Have no idea what it was as the vet came when i was at work :unsure:

I feel all itchy and riffy now urrrggggh!

Can dogs catch them does anyone know?

We use cattle Spot On. NEver hadany bother with it. There is a risk that they might get a skin reaction at the dose site, but we have never even had that.

Ah - just posted on another thread about friend using Cattle spot on for flies on p2p'ers turned out for the summer and how it works.

Which one do you use?

I had 'switch' which I think is the horse version of the cattle one last year, my pony hated it, threatened to double barrel me :eek:

newrider.com