Libby .. not good news

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
Hi Helen,

The first image is looking side on at Libby's head with her nose to the left and ears to the right, you can see her upper cheek teeth and above them where the sinuses lie which should be quite black their is a mottled mass approximately the size of a grapefruit. there is a small area above of normal sinus (blacker area) then the outline of the edge of her skull.

The 2 other images are looking straight down at her head the white curved lines are her mandible ad you can see her teeth in cross section (one image is further towards her nose and the other looking between her eyes), one the images the right side of her head is filled with soft tissue density mass ( greyish) rather than air in the sinus as it is on the left; so either side of the right side teeth looks whiter than the same area on the left, this is because the mass is denser than air and absorbs the xrays more. The mass extends from mid way up her nostril to behind her eye level.

Head xrays are quite complicated as the xray looks through and you get all the structures superimposed on one another. If you would prefer I would be happy to show you at the practice, if you would like to make an appointment.

I am awaiting a reply from John Burford but have discussed Libby with my colleagues and unfortunately, no treatment options are available to deal with a mass of this size, in this region, which has grown silently or rapidly and invaded the tissues widely.

I am sorry this is not better news and will let you know, what John says.

Last edited:
Comfortable vibes coming Libby's way xx I can only imagine how you must be feeling too, for now spoil her rotten and wait for the vet to get back to you I suppose xxx

I think I was shocked at the size of it even though they told me on Tuesday the size. I think getting the email has made me realise. It's hard to think how she isn't in pain with it or in distress

Really sorry, Helen. I guess you need the vets to give you as much information and advice as they can about her quality of life now and in the future. And then take it from there. Just an awful, awful situation to be in.

What shocking news, good to hear that it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.

Oh I am so sorry to read this, but as everyone else says at least she doesn't seem to be suffering with it. You are probably suffering more than her as it is awful news to take in.:(

As everyone else has said, so sad for you, devastating, have the vets given any indication at all on a timeframe for her at all? I guess it's one of those things that they just don't know :-(
It's good that she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort from it at least.
Thinking of you, lots of virtual hugs x

I think I will ring the vets to have a chat about it all. I thought she'd have the summer but I'm really not so sure now. She's had a thick yellow discharge from her right nostril today. I'm really worried something will happen when I'm not there and she'll bleed to death and be in pain. I don't want her to suffer. I can't believe it's happening so quickly. A few weeks ago we were planning a trip to the beach. Sad pony times

I'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking knowing that you're fighting a losing battle & that at some point you have to decide enough is enough. I think talking to your vet is very wise & hopefully will give you a better idea of what you face & how best to manage her future.

(((Hugs))) x

I am so sorry for you. It is a truly heartbreaking thing to go through. Such a sad time and difficult to make the call. I hope your vet is supportive and those around you. Lots of kind thoughts to you.xxx

newrider.com