Lexie's Honour

Sun was shining today so after poo picking today I decided it was time to start "proper" grooming. I grabbed my mane brush and started gently teasing her mane, being careful not to catch her skin as the prongs can be quite sharp and I didn't want the first time to be a negative experience. Lexie still wasn't hugely keen on her forelock being brushed...

IMG-20181007-WA0004-900x600.jpg

IMG-20181007-WA0006-900x600.jpg

... and then also took exception to me standing on her off-side. I persevered and eventually she got over herself and stood nicely for me to run a dandy brush all over her body.

IMG-20181007-WA0007-900x600.jpg

IMG-20181007-WA0008-900x600.jpg

Before I let her loose, we did finish with kisses.

20181007_135727-600x570.jpg

Afterwards she gave the grooming kit a thorough investigation....

IMG-20181007-WA0010-900x600.jpg

I'm really hoping that we have a bit more rain soon, to soften the ground so that Dom can build me a pen soon.

Normally I snip beards off (can cope with hair everywhere else but I do like a nicely defined head) but as she's going to be living out over winter, I'm restraining myself and leaving her "au naturel" for the time being.

Today Gracie and I went out long-lining in the gorgeous sunshine, so we went via the field so that she could meet Lexie.

20181009_141006-800x450.jpg

Lexie was a bit nervous and wouldn't come too close...but Gracie was only interested in sniffing Jack anyway and steadfastly ignored the baby.

As we walked back, Lexie got very excited.

Reactions: Trewsers
Lexie was in the mood to run and run this morning whilst I poo picked. Hats off to Jack, he joined in a fair bit....she keeps him a lot more active than he used to be!

When she takes off, she really goes for it with those long legs!!

20181023_161010-800x450.png

20181023_160840-800x555.png

20181023_123805-800x450.jpg

She seems much bigger but I can't decide if she has grown loads or if I'm just used to her being small now.

Time and Trust

She's been with us nearly two months now and out loose in a 3.5 acre field for all of that bar the first week. I haven't rushed to over-handle her and today she proved to me that the softly-softly approach is working. When I arrived she was flat out sparko on the ground and Jack was standing on sentry duty beside her with his back to me. I needed to sneak up, just to check that she WAS actually breathing but despite my best stealth, Jack heard me and span round so I was rumbled. This was how things then panned out...

Once the video was turned off, Lexie was given a good scritch and today for the first time I was able to run my hand down each of get front legs to her knees, without her scooting away. This is really good progress because most of her handling is done at liberty (mainly because I'm poo picking and don't have her headcollar to hand!)

PS. Note the short grass up this end....this is an eating patch!!

That is so sweet. She obviously loves a forehead rub!
Yes, surprisingly, from day one she's been really happy to have her forehead, forelock, face and ears rubbed. She particularly goes into raptures if I scritch her jawline behind her cheek. I've never known a baby hoss so happy with all over head handling at such a young age!

Jack is having his teeth rasped today. He has to be sedated so will come up from the field into Gracie's stable. In anticipation of this, I turned Gracie out with them yesterday afternoon.... to get the dramas and introductions over by the time I remove him this morning. Obviously Gracie and Jack have been stabled beside each other but because of the yard policy of gender-segregated fields, they have never grazed together.

Those of you who have read my posts about Jack over the years will know that within my own personal horses, he has always been the herd leader, giving it The Big I Am to newbies....but I suspected Gracie might have a thing or two to say about that.

Popped her in the field and I could see Jack and Lexie looking from down the field. True to form, Gracie just put her head down to graze and it was only when I called J & L that they realised it was me and got curious. Introductions were swift.... J & G sniffed noses, squealed and G did a massive leap and double-barrel across in from of him....thank goodness she didn't aim directly at him!!

20181107_075723-800x513.png

That told him! There's a new boss in town!! J & L were fascinated and kept trotting around her but at no time did G go any faster than walk, mostly sniffing and picking at grass here and there.

20181106_210923-800x538.jpg

Lexie so wanted to go and sniff but wisely kept to the other side of Jack.

After 5 mins, they all ambled off down the far end together. Fingers crossed all has been ok overnight. Once Jack comes round from sedation Ill the him back and return Gracie to her usual paddock.

A pen. Not the type you write with. Dom has had a few days off and has finally built me a pen. It is now housing a heston
of hay on pallets under a tarp and the other end of it is somewhere to do "stuff" in a controlled space or feed one without the other reaching. Jack was very happy to come into the pen for the first time today to eat a feed. He did canter through the gap and off bucking when freed though.....*sigh*

Lexie had her headcollar on for the first time in over a month....oops! However, it wasn't an issue and she plotted over behind me to the pen but initially refused to step in. However, a little coaxing and curiosity got the better of her. She had a quick groom and I ran my hands down both of her legs beyond her knees. She didn't seem fazed by this at all and was better on the end of a lead rope rather than when she's at liberty in the field. She didn't panic at all about being separated by a barrier from Jack.....I think she just lapped up all the attention. I forgot my phone so no pics of today, but a couple of the pen.

20181113_131857-800x450.jpg

20181113_134912-800x450.jpg

Comparison pic, two and a half months on. I know she's fluffier but I think she's really grown!!

20181117_192005-800x800.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
A very overdue update. Little lady turns one on Wednesday! She's had a fab winter.... growing and not really having anything asked of her. Today we lured her into the pen with a carrot, headcollared her and I trimmed off the beard. This was it yesterday.....

20190330_155853-600x800.jpg

She looks a lot smarter with that gone! She then got a bit of a groom (first time in months) And I made a start on picking up her feet - now that there is less mud. I do feel bad that I've been lazy with her but I'm sure that new she's a bit older, she'll cope better with everything. Then she was wormed and put back with Jack.

Later she wandered over for a bum scritch and I thought I'd show you how much she's grown! She's about 12hh now.

This was when she first arrived back in September....and today....

20190331_185003-800x800.jpg

I expect I'll have more to report over the next few months as her education commences properly

Happy birthday, Lexie!!!

20190403_110913-800x800.jpg

I have spoken to Jen and Lexie will Be coming up to the yard in the next couple of weeks, for a short burst of intensive training. Watch this space.....

Reactions: Jessey
OK... I'll admit I've been a lazy moo over winter and not really done anything with Lexie other than cuddles and scritches. I had her pegged as "skittish", so I arranged with Jen for her to come up to the yard for a week of intensive handling. So yesterday we took the trailer down as I didn't think Lexie was reliable enpugh to lead the quarter of a mile along the lane from the field. Jill and her fella were enlisted to help load her but before anyone intervened I asked her to step onto the ramp. She looked, thought.... I offered her a polo and her front feet were on the ramp. A second polo and her hind feet were on it and before I'd even offered the third she was up and In! Took about 30 seconds, her own decision, no force. She travelled loose with the single width breast bar as I've never tied her up and walked confidently back out the back after a journey of.....oooh, must have been 60 whole seconds. She is living in Gracie's stable so we left her to settle yesterday but she led over and into it brilliantly. Oh... I did groom her tail for the first time ever and she was fine about it.

Jack came up too and is back out with his old mates.

This afternoon it was all about firsts! Dom and I led her round to the school to investigate the surface and stretch her legs. She whinnied a lot and Jack heard her and called back but she didn't seem too distressed.

20190506141915_IMG_7996-800x533.JPG

20190506142025_IMG_8005-800x533.JPG

Then it was time to tie her up and apart from one attempt at pulling back and sitting on her bum, she accepted her restraint with surprising good nature.

20190506_180114-800x571.jpg

Then she got groomed and I introduced brushing her feather - which she was fidgety for but not naughty. Then it was time to start picking up her feet! Just asking for a momentary lift, without objection at this stage - and it all went far better than expected. I even got her hinds.

20190506_175829-800x638.jpg

20190506_175746-800x714.jpg

The final indignity was me deciding to introduce the hose! Just for her legs.... She had got a bit sh*tty on her back end, which I guess is the stress of the upheaval and again she surprised me by being no more fidgety as Gracie. And stood like a rock when I did her tail.

Screenshot_20190506-201212-800x450.png

Screenshot_20190506-201147-800x450.png

So my skittish year-long was a total star today! And more of the same tomorrow!

Reactions: selside
newrider.com