lessons

CMacsherry

I have been taking lessons since the beginning of Sept and loving every moment. The stables where I ride has the horses tacked when we arrive. Although this is very nice, I feel as though I am missing out on a big part. Do most of you tack your horses or is it done for you?

hey there! just one perspective for you... at my old lesson barn, we had to arrive at least 30 minutes before our lesson was scheduled to begin to fully groom and tack up our horses. we had curry combs, brushes, hoof picks, etc. available for all the lesson horses that we could use for grooming. it was a great opportunity to just spend time with the horses and get a feel for their personalities (sometimes before riding a particular horse for the first time. i really enjoyed getting to do this, and i would often get to the barn ridiculously early to just hang around, watch trainers lunging horses, spend some time with my horse in her stall, etc.

in your case, though - even if you don't, for whatever reason, get to tack up your own horse, i don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to arrive a bit early to hang around with the horses and spend some "quality time". :D

having to groom and tack up your own horse is also a great way to learn about how to handle horses with, shall we say, "different" ground manners, and such!

personally, i would hate it if i had arrived at my barn with the horses all ready to go - you're right to think you're missing out! but again, see if you can't sneak in some quality time when you're not riding; you'll definitely benefit from it. :)

The first barn I took lesons at we had to arrive early and brush/tack up our own horses as Cynthia said. If you are hoping to own your own horses in the future this is a very valuable experience to have, and it is also fun. I have 2 of my own horses now, and grooming is one of the best parts of owning horses. I have a grey and a palimino, so I get an especially good feeling when they come in from the field looking brown, and return to normal after a good brushing. The horses like it because it feels good and it isn't any work for them.

I now take lessons from a private horse owner who has about 12 horses at her barn. When I arrive, she gets the horse out of the stall, we both do a quick brushing, and then she tacks him up. Sometimes I feel like I should be the one doing it, but since I now how it doesn't really bother me. If you do not know how to get the horse ready by yourself, ask your instructor if you could come early so she could show you how to do it. Everyone has to learn sometime, and you might as well do it sooner rather than later. As Cynthia said, it is a great way to get to know a little about a horse before you ride it.

Allie

At all the places where I've had lessons or gone to my friends lessons the rider had to tack up the horse. On occation if the horse was being used in aprior lesson they were tacked. I think that tacking up your own horse is very important because it is a way of communicating with your horse. It tells you how your horse id feeling and lets you know about the horses temper.

Ta

Do you miss out? Well, some people would be saying "no" some would say "yes". I say that yes, you are missing out, because I feel more in control of what's happening with the horses; and no, because the time you spend doing that can make you late.

Now, I have my own horse, and do not have the luxury of having other people tack her up for me. If I don't tack her up, then I don't ride.

:D Silly, hey? :cool:

Thanks Cynthia, Allie,Ta & Medalia for input. I do arrive early at the barn before my lessons. Perhaps next time I will go see "my" horse and chat a bit. I"ve lined up an extra lesson this week so will do as youall say! thanks again.

newrider.com