Lesson Four

MadMumInKent

Feb 27, 2005
Kent
I hope I'm not boring anyone with all my lesson stories! :eek: I just get so excited with what I get up to, I feel I have to share it :D

After my bumpy canter transitions of lesson 3, this time we stuck with trotting, but without stirrups, which I think is to get my position and seat a bit better. Anyway, for some reason, I felt a bit nervous before this lessson, and though I was OK once I was up there, things just didn't come together as easily this time. I struggled to keep her going, I struggled to get the positioning right on the serpentines and stuff, but I spose it can't be good all the time ;) My instructor said I kept my body in the vertical line the whole time when in trot without the stirrups, but it just didn't feel like I did. I imagine it takes some getting used to, but I did end the lesson thinking it's actually easier to ride without stirrups! Is that odd?

Lesson 5 will be on Friday morning... and no, you're not imagining it... my once a week lessons have somehow, through no fault of my own, become much more frequent ;)

I love reading stuff like this so keep posting! We all have ups and downs and it sounds like you're doing really well. I prefer riding without stirrups too, maybe we're both odd! :D I wish I could have more than one lesson a week, hope the friday one goes well, have fun!

Isn't this forum a great way to share the joy?! I am enjoying reading your adventure- do keep posting. My husband also is one who does not 'appreciate' horses. He much prefers his dirt-bike. I had a bit of an accident with my horse last week, and now he REALLY does not appreciate horses :p ! It is nice to be able to 'talk' to others who share your love of the horsey-world, especialy if your loved-ones do not share your passion. YOu will find that NR is also a great way to answer those questions and solve the horse-related problems that come up on a frequent basis. I am a 'greenie' when it comes to horses (47, riding for 6 months), and I have learned almost as much on NR as I have working with my horse.

Horseyrose, thanks for the encouragement - I'll keep posting! :)

Greentchr, You're right - I read all the posts on this forum and have picked up so many tips that I put into practice once I'm riding, its a great help. Hope your accident wasn't too bad.

I like reading your posts too.
My non horsey friends are to say the least getting a little fed up of my blow by blow accounts of lessons -bless them :) and my friends with horses who are just being so great and supportive are really not that interested in my latest trot - canter transition I'm sure :rolleyes:
Its great to know there are other people just like me out there :D .Until I found this site I thought I was the only one!

Thanks halllv ! :) Typical reactions that I get from friends and family go along the lines of:

Hubby: You cantered? What's that?
Dad: Don't you know how DANGEROUS it is?
Children: Can we go to the shop/beach/park/ now?
Mum: Hmmm thats nice dear
Friends: Hmmmm good (in a disinterested tone)

;)

LOL.....

Yup, I get similar reactions, except that it is my Mum wimpering about what a dangerous hobby it is, and couldn't I go swimming or something :D

Hubby just asks if I fell off - and if I didn't, he's not interested!!!!

newrider.com