Legs like an elephant! HELP Any ideas?

Soot

Paranoid!
Aug 7, 2007
East Sussex
No pics sorry ...

Got a call from YO than Libby's legs had swollen to gargantuan proportions within about an hour (she'd come in for breakfast and was standing on the yard and all was fine then an hour later YO wanted to put her out and found her all swollen) ... I rushed down (boss is thrilled as you can imagine) and -- OMG I have never seen anything like it!

Her back legs especially were so thick that she couldn't bend them at hock or fetlock! One front leg also swollen but the other normal.

First thought was fluid buildup (but she's been out?), allergic reaction, HELP! She's had no cuts, no injuries ... has been off work because of bad back lately, which has been successfully treated ( was given all clear yessterday .. of course).

Got vet out because was worried enough and vet has never seen the likes of it either. Libby now on Anti-Bs in case of viral infection and has had full bloods taken.

Anyone seen something like this before? It looked like cellulitis but no cuts or scratches and SOOOO big and swollen. Vet said to leave her in paddock for the night so she can walk about a bit. Not raining so OK (usually she's in a 40 acre field).

Help?

I don't know much about Celulitis. I unfortunately know lots about severe Lymphagitis. Both can be very dangerious if not properly managed. Severe Lymphangitis usually only occurs in the hind legs (and if bad enough, quarters, belly). That is not the same as the milder form which you might see as a bit of swelling in all four legs. A wound is not always evident. Infection can get in there by something very small indeed. Lymphangitis can even be triggered by a knock (e.g. from getting up). I don't know if that would be the case for Celulitis.

The important thing is that you got the Vet early and he/she has it in hand. All of the right things are being done, so you should get on top of it without it getting out of hand.

Salsa had a similar problem back in January. He came in one night slightly lame, but with no heat or swelling, so I spent a few days cold hosing his legs, as it was difficult to tell from his walk which leg was actually painful. Fetched him in one evening, and the legs were so badly swollen that it looked like someone had shoved feather pillows under the skin! :eek:
I called the vet out, and was told that he may have had a pin-prick injury in one leg that had led to lymphangitis. He had to have two weeks' box rest with a walk morning and evening to reduce the fluid and four days of penicillin injections but he was sound by the end of the first week.

It sounds like you've done all you can, fingers crossed the blood tests will give an indication of the problem.

Thanks for all the support. No change - they're no better and no worse and she's still 100% sound back and front and her usual self. Should hear from vet this morning with blood test results. Meanwhile she remains on the antibiotics and lets us coddle her with worry!

Anyone seen something like this before? It looked like cellulitis but no cuts or scratches and SOOOO big and swollen...

Yup. Mine had this think November last year. Was brought in at 3, by 5 her right hind was enormous, she was lame and clearly very uncomfortable. Vet came, found the tiniest of tiny healed scabs over the fetlock (how he found it I've no idea) and treated her for Cellulitis - AB's and a Robert Jones type Bandage (layers of gamgee and crepe done as a pressure dressing pushing fluid back up the leg).

Had to walk her three times a day (was too wet to turn out as bandage had to stay dry and untouched), she was on box rest for the remaining periods. All ok think it was a week later. I boot up for turn out now!

Libby lives out 24/7 so booting up is not an option or I'd be thinking of that right now or looking magnetic boots as well. Blood tests turned up nothing special Slight indication that she's fighting a small infection but not truly out of the normal range. The antiBs seem to be doing their job as she looked a little better tonight (although maybe I'm just getting used to it?) ... She likes a drama, Libby does!

newrider.com