Legs aids - confused!

mistymoon

Jun 8, 2011
Buckinghamshire
I ride a lovely school horse who is getting on in years and I really don't want to have to 'kick' him to get him going. He is quite a laid back fellow and have to use a crop gently on his neck to get him going quite a bit.

I would like to ask 2 things:

How do I ask a horse to walk with leg aids?

How do I ask a horse to move sideways? If I want to turn left, should I use my right leg on the girth to get him to move left and vice versa?

In the books I read, I don't have any specific instructions on how to move the horse. I know this is something I could ask my RI but would like some advice from you guys too! Thanks :smile:

The first thing that you may have to think about is that if he's been on the school for some time he is more than likely accustomed to ignoring a certain amount of leg aid as an unbalanced would quite easily be giving little (and sometimes not so little) nudges without even realising it.

Regarding effective leg aids, you would want to make sure your legs sit just around the girth area and as you apply the aid you squeeze in an upwards motion, make sure your seat is relaxed and upper body allows him to move forward. When your legs are in the correct position they sit on the intercostal nerve, so when you apply the leg the ribcage lifts, this is why you need to make sure your seat and balance is allowing him to move. The rider can quite commonly be asking one thing with their leg and giving the opposite signal with the rest of their body.

If he really is used to ignoring the leg aids and you feel you are having to use the crop, try using behind your leg rather than the shoulder, but you may have to be sympathetic that very often his job is to not react to various rider movements.

In terms of moving the horse do you mean turning a corner or moving over sideways?

Have you read Dressage in Lightness? It's an amazing book that shows you with diagrams how your weight and aids affects the horse, it starts at the very beginning as well so you can apply it to any level of riding or training :)

In terms of moving the horse do you mean turning a corner or moving over sideways?

Have you read Dressage in Lightness? It's an amazing book that shows you with diagrams how your weight and aids affects the horse, it starts at the very beginning as well so you can apply it to any level of riding or training :)

Hi, this is really useful, thanks.

In general, just keeping the horse on track i think and keeping to the edge of the menage.

I will look this book up, sounds just what I need. :wink:

I ask my mare to walk out more by nudging alternating each leg as Joys rib cage sinks in. This indicates that the back leg on that side has come up and under her.

The moving across aid is a push rather than a nudge.

Ok, so for keeping horses on the track/straight, think about where your weight is. It's really easy to sit heavier on one seat bone without realising it, I always find it helpful to just close your eyes for a few strides down the long side of the school, because you don't have any visual aids to assist your balance you tend to adjust your weight and balance a bit.

Once your balance is centred then just close both legs around the horse evenly and this will help keep him straight, if you find he is pulling into the centre then give a few nudges with the inside leg.

Joyscarers' comments about pushing with alternate legs is really good for getting a nice impulsive walk. If you look at the horses' shoulder, when the shoulder comes back give a nudge with that leg.

Once your balance is centred then just close both legs around the horse evenly and this will help keep him straight, if you find he is pulling into the centre then give a few nudges with the inside leg.

Joyscarers' comments about pushing with alternate legs is really good for getting a nice impulsive walk. If you look at the horses' shoulder, when the shoulder comes back give a nudge with that leg.

This is really helpful. I will try it out at my lesson next week. Thanks to you both :smile:

newrider.com