leg position

nelle

May 27, 2005
South East
At the moment I'm struggling to maintain a good leg position. I've got into a habit of nudging with my heel rather than squeezing with the inside of my calf and my new RI is trying to correct it.

The other problem is that when I try to keep my calf in contact with the horse I start scrunching my leg and pinching in at the knee and then it all goes to pot and my leg gets 'really noisey' (as my RI puts it).

I have done some lessons with no stirrups and now at walk I'm not too bad, but trot is really terrible.

any ideas anyone?

Can't help I'm afraid, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone with this problem!

In my case, I actually think it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get the 'perfect' leg position, due to my short legs, my horse's barrel belly and her lack of responsiveness to leg aids. The only way I can get her to go forwards is to bring my legs back and use my heel - I know it isn't correct, but its the only way I can get my girl to move!

Two words...HEELS DOWN!

This will help tons since your weight in your heels, you can't scrunch up your leg! And always have the feeling that your leg is looooong and all streached out all the way down to the flooooor!
To help you with your heel problem, think about pointing your toes foreward instead of out to the side, this way your heels won't be jabbing into your horse as easily!
Good Luck!:D

Lots of work in forward light seat, especially in the trot with jump length stirrups - brilliant way is to do it out hacking. And you can't rise to the trot - only hover and instead absorb all movement through ankles.

Your lower leg will then begin to stay in the correct position, otherwise you'll find balance wont be there. It'll also help loosen your knees up a bit

newrider.com