Leg position help

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
Getting rather fed up with my legs at the moment, main issue is that I seem to have a chair seat (IMO) but when I move my heels back and my feet under me it tips my pelvis forwards slightly.

To be sat on my seat bones, my legs go into a slight chair seat again.

Now in an ideal world the way to solve this would be to move the stirrup bars back by an inch or two. But being as though I only share my pony this isn't going to happen. Also do set back stirrup bars effect you when jumping?

I do have slight hip issues regardi eight properly into my heels, rather than just pushing them down?

Any tips or exercises that might help?

You can sort of see it in this pic, it seems to happen in various different brands of saddle and type of horse:
Littlebmp.jpg

Work without stirrups will help :)

Really get your leg stretching down and underneath you. or even just lengthening your stirrups should help.

Yup, I've shoved them down a hole since that picture.

Without stirrups... oh god that is when I miss by big comfy TB trot over turbo pony trot! Might have a little hack without stirrups this evening.

Blooming saddles :mad:

The only thing I found that helped me (apart from my saddle) was to think about your posture when you're not riding. I try to get the feeling of bringing my belly button towards the small of my back - I don't mean sucking my belly in - but that's acheived but the angel my pelvis is at. I found that I had a very hollow posture all the time and not just when I was in the saddle. Thinking about re-setting my 'normal' posture really did help me to identify and put right some of the issues in my riding.

At the end of the day though there isn;t a lot you can do if you have poorly positioned stirup bars :(

At the end of the day though there isn;t a lot you can do if you have poorly positioned stirrup bars :(

It's just that when I take my feet out of the stirrups and stretch them down, I can get a perfect dressage leg position but 1-2 inches behind the stirrup. It's a working hunter saddle, although compared to my old GP it looks VSD.

I'm not looking forward to trying to get a saddle to fit both of us when I get my own...

It's probably that the saddle is making you sit this way.. and nothing you can do about it, other than get another saddle....would owner mind if you did, for your own use? would your finances allow it?

newrider.com