Leg/feather washing

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Stumpys feathers are currently thick with mud clumps and I really don't have time after school to clean her feathers/heels and wait till they dry so I'm hoping a clean once a week will help.

I want to wash the mud out but also want to wash with an antibacterial product to shift any mud-fever esque germs. How should I wash and what should I was with?

Also, how can I speed up the drying process after?

Cheers :)

normal shampoo and then hibiscrub for antibacterial purposes will do the job. make absolutely sure that her legs get 110% dry though - if you can hairdry her, that's the best option. if they're even the slightest bit damp, you can introduce mud fever.

you'll probably find though, that the inch or so next to her skin is clean and dry, so it's just cosmetic.

mud fever leggings are excellent to put on top of wet mud to dry the skin out and stop the moisture - you will find the legs are nice and clean next morning if she is coming in.

i use that on our cobs whose feathers aren't clipped - if their legs are wet, pop on the leggings and next morning clean and dry - I never wash their legs as I find this works fine.

yes, and probably preferable, given how hard it is to get the legs dry afterwards. the more you 'mess' with legs, the more likely they are to get infected as the bacteria gets in through open pores or open wounds. leave alone is always my first course for avoiding it.

My full feathered cob spent all last winter with clods of mud attached! His skin underneath was always dry (and actually the cleanest bit on him) and hence didn't have any problems with mud rash. Good luck

Mine didn't get it last year (and previously did in Livery). I let the mud dry and then brushed it off with plastic curry comb that night.

If you wash their legs then they don't tend to dry very well because it is too cold.

I used to put sudocrem on our geldings legs when he used to have it mild. This seemed to help heal the sores and repel mud/water.

I have just bought a cob with feathers. Her previous owner told me that they combed baby oil through to stop the mud sticking. Has anyone tried "Seven Day Mud Away"???

(I'm open to ALL suggestions!!!)

PS Vet told me when she was vetted that they provide natural protection and are generally dry at skin level regardless of how much mud builds up!!!

Apparently a furniture polish spray (with silicone in it) sprayed on the feathers when they are clean and dry, helps to stop mud sticking and makes it easy to brush out. I've never had a horse with feathers until recently (all trimmed or not hairy!), so I was asking around a month or so ago and was given this tip. I haven't tried it yet though!

Feathers, mud and itching!

Hi, I have a clydesdale X and he had a full set of feathers, unfortunately in the summer he was v uncomfortable with mites and used to itch and bang his feet like hell! Then in the winter his feathers became water logged and where the outside of the feathers dried the inside was holding water and made a lovely breeding ground for bacteria and mud fever! In the end I clipped his feathers off which put an end to both mites and mud fever! Now his feathers are starting to grow back he is back to banging and itching his legs again so I know for my horse his is better clipped, I will wash legs in hibiscrub, rinse, dry then clip off and cover his legs in mud protector lotion. I know it is different for all horses but this has been my experience with mine, hope this helps in some way :)

newrider.com