Learning about horse care as a new owner

IAmEllie

Roll on 2010...
Jan 14, 2008
Manchester/Weston-Super-Mare
I'm not really sure if this should be in the 'Horse Care' section or the 'Learning' section but here goes anyway.
If all goes to plan, next year after I graduate I will be getting my first horse. I have been riding a fair few years now and along the way I have helped with various people's horses (riding, helping with general jobs, caring for horses whilst their owners are away etc). I know obviously the general care, but when it comes to things like nutrition and first aid I don't really know much. The horses have always already had their diets set out and so I just follow the instructions of what they have, knowing the common sense (soaking sugarbeet etc..). When it comes to first aid, I always looks out for any cuts, grazes, feet, lameness, know the signs of colic and laminitus, but wouldn't know how to poultice, for example. But there are always liveries either about or who I can call if I'm unsure of anything, and I always have the vet's numbers in my phone incase there is anything clearly in need of urgent veterinary attention.
I'm considering this summer to possibly take a home-learning course on nutrition and maybe a day course in first aid whilst I have the time away from Uni.
I was just wondering how you all learned about areas like feeding and first aid when you got your first horse? Did you learn from people around you, or did you take any courses to help you understand? Do you think it would be worth doing a course -I did think maybe the BHS Horse owner's certificate might be another option.

In all honesty, I learned from trial and error and others around me. Having a pony with simple needs who is relatively easy to care for helps, and having other liveries and people like the YO or workers is enormously helpful.

The BHS certificate is something I've no experience of.

I think in a way they're all different and it sounds as though you know just as much as me when it comes to general care.

I ad no idea how to poultice either, but if something like that every happened (and it did to me), then the vet or someone on the yard would be able to help. I know basic first aid (ie, treatment for cuts and scrapes etc) and anything more serious would be a call to the vet.

Feed and diet really is trial and error - the owner of any horse you buy should be able to give you information on the current diet for the horse and you can decide to stick to that or try something else, depending on workload / conditions (ie how much turnout you have).

Common sense will take you quite far with most things.

gb050573 -Thank you, you've made me feel quite a bit better, I guess I just want to be as prepared as possible! It's good to read about other people's experiences and you look to be doing a fantastic job with Flare.

Tazanne -I remember reading your thread about your new addition, you lucky thing. It sounds like you've done all the right things by reading up on all you can, and as you said it's usually the putting into practice when you learn the most (although touch wood you won't need to with the first aid!)

Once exams are over I might look into some short courses anyway, just because I think it would be nice to do a course that I actually find interesting :rolleyes: and I'm sure it'll all add to my preparation anyway

Trial and error a lot :) i have lots of horsey mates that i ask if im stuck, i read this website religiously - and quite often post if i have a question, lots of trawling on tinternet, read read read ( library ) knowledge is power as they say..... ive had mine four years now and what i know is just the tip of the ice berg :) x

Tazanne- for my first I will most probably be looking for an older horse so I should be able to follow on with the regime the previous owner has in place with a few things. I love how much there is to learn though about these wonderful animals though, and this place is brilliant for that.
Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to it, it's all I think about every day :eek: So don't fear, I will update as soon as I start looking -I just can't wait all that time though, I'm so impatient :rolleyes:

You have got far more experience than I had before I bought my first horse.

Tbh I just haunted New Rider and picked up as much as I could from other people's mistakes.

I've have Joy for over 2 years now and have still never had to deal with anything out of the ordinary because nothing has happened *touch wood*

I think the key thing is to have a flexible and questioning approach and to get a good team of pressionals (farrier, back person, dentist, saddle fitter) behind you to draw from their experieinces. :)

there are lots of really good books on the topics of feeding and veterinary care - most of which you can find at bargain prices on amazon 'marketplace' - books obviously not as useful as practical experience, but they can really extend your knowledge.

the horse owners certificate is also a good general grounding.

newrider.com