Last owner wanting to visit

Louby*eko

Jun 19, 2008
Berkshire/Hampshire border
I have had my horse for nearly 3 months. i did agree to keep in touch with his last owner (who only had him 5 weeks) He has been a bit of a pain!
I texted him on the day I got him home, and again a few weeks later to let him know he had settled ok.
I then got a voicemail from him after a few more weeks saying he was dissapointed I had not got in contact, which annoyed me a bit. I didnt agree to monthly updates or anything!
I then email him and sent a few pics, again saying he was fine.
I then had an email this morning saying can he come and see him. I have replied saying yes he can and suggested next weekend, but now I have though about it, am I being stupid? He will then know where we live and I may not be able to get rid of him!

He obviously misses him very much (sold him as he hadnt been riding long and he was a bit too much for him)

Do you think I am worrying uneccessarily?

I think I would be suddenly busy next week!!

What we tend to do is invite previous owners to come to see us at a show, much easier on mutual ground even though all ours know where to find us.

Thats a good idea!

I have let Flos old owner visit her, but i have offered she hasnt asked!

u'll be fine - u also know where he lives so if your horse goes missing then u can check, if ** horse is freezemarked or microchipped then he wont.
if its private property then he got get access when u dont want him 2

I will be sure to play up the whole 'you must be accompanied as the yard owner is a bit funny about strangers' type thing!
I know you always say 'can i visit/keep in touch' when you sell a horse but I never actually have done! I always find it easier to just let them go.
Just makes me feel a little uneasy that he might be popping over all the time! He lives about and hour and a half away though, I hope that is enough to put him off.
It seems I am comitted to regular updates, dont know if I can handle that for the next 15years!

I think it might be you rather than the horse that he is interested in ;)

Seriously though, it is lovely for old owners to stay in touch when they are genuine, I'm still in regular contact with Molly's old owner and she will visit to show off her baby I'm sure :D and it is great for me as I still have questions and things I know she can help with :)

But at the end of the day you aren't obliged to, you can ignore emails and calls too!

Don't meet him on your own, and if you don't feel comfortable about meeting him cancel. You shouldn't be put under pressure!

I will be sure to play up the whole 'you must be accompanied as the yard owner is a bit funny about strangers' type thing!
I know you always say 'can i visit/keep in touch' when you sell a horse but I never actually have done! I always find it easier to just let them go.
Just makes me feel a little uneasy that he might be popping over all the time! He lives about and hour and a half away though, I hope that is enough to put him off.
It seems I am comitted to regular updates, dont know if I can handle that for the next 15years!

this is why i could never sell any of mine, because i would want updates :eek:

can you not speak to him and tell him its making you feel uneasy, and maybe offer to send a 6 monthly report/update with a pic, im sure this guy will back straight off if you are straight with him

he may well love this horse very much, even though he had him for a short time, and feels guilty about passing him on so quick,

good luck :)

If he lives locally I would advise against it. We allowed our old horse's owner to come and visit and then couldn't get rid of her. She kept 'popping in'. Then we heard that she was 'popping in' when we weren't there and letting herself into his stable :eek: We had to tell her to politely 'go away' which was all a bit embarassing. We have allowed other owner's to visit but only if they live miles away and we know it's going to be a one off!

A good friend had a mare he bought from an elderly man, he was besotted with this mare and wanted to keep in touch, come and visit etc, he was only selling her as he couldn't afford to keep her, it was really sad. In the end he did come and visit after several months had passed. After this one visit, my friend has never heard from him again! I think he needed to see her in her new home to convince himself she was well and happy and then he could let go.

I would say to the old owner of yours that the yard does not allow visitors without being accompanied by a client ( or something similar) so that he doesn't get the idea he can just call in. Make sure you have someone with you when he does come ( ideally your BF, OH, Dad or similar :)) just to be safe. It is a difficult situation, I have sold a few horses in my time and would find it hard if I was not allowed to see them very occasionally but I do understand your worries!

Yes, make sure you have somebody with you when he visits - see how it goes but if it becomes a regular thing and you feel pressured then I'd echo eml's advice and suddenly become rather busy!!

i had the same problem as ellasma, but the old owner did not take the hint! im lucky in the fact that i could move the horse for a month then bring him back, told the old owner we had moved him. she came to the "old" yard a few times uninvited to see for herself now since we are back she hasnt turned up. sometimes a few "words" dont work!!!

I sold my girls and have been told i can visit them whenever :)
and alice knows she is welcome to come and see milly.
As long as obvs the prev owner knows when they visit theres no chance of a take back, i dont see a problem.

i do keep intouch with old owner of one of my horses and onther ones texts me who i now ignore, but the one i keep intouch with, we have almost became friends i guess, she visited once and her daughter had a ride, iv had him just over a year now, she says she will come again but i dont think she will now, she knows hes in good hands and has a good home so i think she has paice of mind, i got to say id think twice if it were a man tho

Gosh if I sold my horse I'd want to visit at least once to check that he/she was ok. But if you aren't comfortable with it then say no.

He's left an arsey message on your voicemail when you have already sent photos and texted? he only had the horse for 5 weeks? I think he sounds odd and I would steer clear! I too think he may be more interested in you!!

xx

Not really sure what to do now! If I do let him come I will have my husband with me, and the yard security isnt an issue, its a big yard.
I suppose he just wants to see he is ok. The guy knows nothing about horses and let Sam walk all over him (thats why he was for sale) so I hope it will be one visit and then leave us alone!
Think I will ponder it for a few days.....

My concern would be that it would go from one visit to the old owners expectations of daily/weekly updates and visits. :eek:

Make it clear to him (politely obviously) that you are now the owner and although you are willing to provide updates on a 6 monthly basis, if he wishes to continue vists, as eml said, shows would be ideal for these.

Although I can't even consider selling tyler, if I had to, I woudl like up dates, but at the same time I would have to respect that I no longer own Tyler and give the new owner their place.

It is difficult for me to give any straight advice as I have never been in the position, but think thats what I woudl probably do.

Jen
x

If this guy only had horse for five weeks, and realised in that time that the horse was too much for him, then I'd be inclined to think that he isnt interested in getting the horse back... He is however interested in the horse, and would perhaps think that he could learn a bit more through the horse and yourself... Let him come over on the day, and quiz him in a friendly way... find out how long he's been riding, could be that he bought a horse because he felt confident enough to do so, but then went all pear shaped as he realised he'd bitten off more than he could chew.... you never know, you might become good friends, and that you could help this guy better his riding, and horse care knowledge...

newrider.com