Laminitis or not

GeorgeGr

Jun 27, 2022
Before three weeks I bought a horse thatCoffin RF Lat.JPG never had petals and I saw that he used to protect his foot when I made him rounds.I took x rays from two doctors .the first one said it's not laminitis and the horse just has thin soles and needs petals. the second one told to make therapy with orthodotic petals for laminitis.whats your opinion?

I'm struggling to understand your post I'm afraid. I'm no vet or farrier but I don't like those x-rays. there doesn't look to be big rotations but I do think there's some sinking though whether or not it's from laminitis I can't say. Did you have x-rays done because the horse is unsound? If so I'd treat as if it has active laminitis, so box rest on a deep bed with a diet safe for a laminitic. I would ask the vet who recommended remedial shoeing to put you in touch with a good farrier and show him the x-rays.

Reactions: Lollykay
I presume petals should be pads?

Personally, I don't like shoeing metabolic or laminitic horses at all as I think it masks so much so can't advise on shoeing, I'm afraid.

Your post is vague. I am in the U.S. and am clueless as to precisely what petals are and what the purpose would be, if they aren’t shoes.

Barefoot is generally better for laminitic horses but there are times when shoes/packing/pads are better and by shoes I mean COMPOSITE shoes. A certified therapeutic farrier is needed to 1) follow the lameness vet’s instructions and 2) know what they are doing with those hooves and also with a special shoeing package.

Even if the horse remains barefoot a certified farrier who shoes is better than a barefoot trimmer whose schooling for special needs hooves is minimal, if any —- I learned that the hard way with my own foundered horse. If the farrier is at the top of their game and the trims or resets stay on a schedule to suit the horse’s growth patten, nothing gets masked. Masking happens with inept farrier’s. Sadly owners who know next-to-nothing about hoof health get “taken in” by what the inept farrier’s tell them.

IF your horse is laminitic, it needs to be on a low starch, grain-free diet “yesterday” and it needs frequent trims; every 4-:5 weeks depending how fast the hooves grow. Hooves that are left longer are difficult to rehab because the farrier can’t make make any trimming progress— he/she is too busy playing catch-up.

Please provide more details as your general statement is not enough for anyone to provide help:)

Last edited:
Reactions: carthorse
Not sure why we are feeding this person.

I wouldn't come on a random forum and expect members to turn into vets and farriers for you.

You are too vague, sorry

newrider.com