Laminae (sp?) band

Tami + Floss

Living a dream ...
Jun 14, 2005
Preston, England
www.geocities.com
Okay, well it has been a couple of months that we've been told about the laminae band. What it is is that she has been fed too much protein in her feed and shes not been doing enough work to work off the protein. This meant that the blood vessels where being seen and the band was broader than usual. So we were advised to do a lot more work with her and cut out the protein. So we put her on alpha-a with oil, her indigestion tablets and oil (she was on blue chip for a while but took her off it). For the past 3/4 weeks shes been off work from being lame (now recovered) but has been fed just alpha-a, her tablets and oil only in a smaller amount. The farrier came today and said that the band is still swollen and told me to do some research on maybe a laminitus supplement to feed her, although I do need to work her more.

So has anyone got any suggestions on a supplement I could feed her? The farrier said that if she was to go out onto grass that within a few hours of eating rich grass she could come down with severe lami!! :eek:

I'm no expert so would be worth checking with someone that knows more than I do before changing anything. This is mostly just stuff I've read on hoof anorak type websites. Not exactly clear from your description what your farrier has seen, but will just take it as farrier is being good about warning you that he's seen some warning sign of laminitis....

Magnesium is meant to be good for laminitics, think you can buy it from agricultural stores as calmag which works out much cheaper than buying magnesium for horses in fancy packaging.

Don't think Alfalfa (and alfa-a is mollassed which makes it even worse) is meant to be good for laminitics, there's quite a lot of protein in it. Need something really low sugar, preferably without any mollasses. Unless she's underweight then a handful of something like happy hoof (think there's some mollasses in that, probably are better things but can't think of one right now) to hide supplements in would be plenty. Top Spec do a feed balancer especially for laminitics which might be worth looking at.

Do you know how to check digital pulses and what to do if your horse does get lami? Would be well worth finding out so you are prepared if the worst does happen.

The only supplement that the Laminitis Trust recommend is Founderguard. You can only get it from a vet in the UK because we stick rigidly to EU regs. If you happen to be going to another EU country you can buy it accross the counter.
Beware spring grass & other times after rain.

Magnesium is good too.

Rose is a recovered laminitic and for the last week she has been back in her small paddock as the grass is shooting up, so for now she will have a couple of hours in the big field, then the rest inthe small paddock.

all she gets as feed is some speedi beet, as she doesn't work that hard.

speak to eventerbabe too as she has a lot of experience of it.

The Laminitis Clinic recommend a supplement called Formula4Feet which I have had Jake on for the last four weeks, probably not long enough to get a true reflection of how good it is, but four weeks after Jake got laminitis for the first time (following an injection) my farrier can't believe what a recovery he has made and he has no signs in his feet at all of having laminitis.

Get used to looking for signs to nip it in the bud before damage to the feet is done, get used to feeling for heat in the feet at the coronary band, a rigid crest and especially the digital pulse as this is an excellent indication. You can also consider feeding a probiotic such as Yea-sac. If your pony is overweight, put her on a high fibre diet, feeding at 1-1.1/2% of her bodyweight and weigh-tape her regularly.

Restrict grazing during the growing seasons especially April/May/September, and keep off the grass between 1000-1400hrs when the fructan levels peak.

Also at this time of year fields get fertilized so make sure she isn't grazing at this point if they are and then just give her 20 minutes out at a time and gradually increase turn out time if all is well.

Also avoid turning out on frosty grass, especially if it is sunny.

Best of luck, and with the correct management it is possible to avoid an attack :)

Last edited:
Change your alfalfa to Dengies hifi-lite. I feed it mine as its low in protein, and is recommended by the laminitis trust. :D

Well I spoke to the farrier phoned yesterday and recommended to feed her a mixture of chopped hay and haylage. So going to try that. She's slowly being increased in her work to work off the protein.

Just need to watch out for the signs. Thanks for all your replies, especially Jake's Mum as your reply has really helped me (not that the others haven't)

Hmm, opinion is mixed about feeding haylage to laminitics. i don't even let my laminitic get a whiff of haylage. Haylage is more acidic than hay, hence when it gets to the horses stomachs it 'can' affect the acidity in there, and anything that knocks the gut off balance has the potential to trigger laminitis.

i'd try hi-fi lite as has been suggested. thats what i feed my lami, along with formula4feet. i wish i had before and after photos of her feet. the difference is just incredible and i'm sure its down to the formula4feet. A probiotic is worthwhile too. helps keep the gut functioning as it should and hence theres a slim chance it can help ward off an attack.

Founderguard is one i haven't tried. pointless in my case as founder has already taken place but if yours hasn't foundered/rotated then ask your vet to fill out a license application. You can only get it under a specific licence (for your pony) from your vet. expect to pay about £70 per tub for it.

As has been mentioned, restrict grazing during the day, turn out at nights if possible. avoid turnout on frosty grass (although frosted grass as a laminitis trigger is currently being disputed by some camps). a grazing muzzle might be worth investing in too.

If your fields must be fertilised, steer clear of nitrogenous fertilisers. Seaweed based fertilisers are much better for use on horse grazing. they don't cause explosive growth.

Tam, Blue chip do Lami light, specially formulated for laminitic ponies and horses, and approved by the Laminitus trust. also, founderguard, and lamiguard are both meant to be pretty good, other than that hun, just watch her like a hawk!

Okay now I'm really confused. Spoke to her old farrier who shod her for ages. He says that she will never come down with laminitus and that it is just a trait she has. He's told me to just feed her alfa-a and that I do not need to worry and it isn't as big a deal. Also that her feet should be kept long. He also said that the feel good 30 hoof supplement did wonders for her feet so therefore I'm now starting to feed her. Horses, who'd have them!?!?!

you can never, ever say categorically that a horse will not come down with laminitis. i think it was very irresponsible of this farrier to tell you this, especially since she's had problems with the laminae before.

The best hoof supplement is formula4feet, i wouldn't waste money on any other supplement as there are plenty out there that don't work. formula4feet does.

why did he say her feet need to be kept long??

There is no room for complaicency as far as laminitis is concerned.

newrider.com