lame

horseygal90

Going
Aug 27, 2004
I don't really know, its a good question though! I think its the foot they pick up when they put their head down... Anyway thats what I've always been taught. It'd be a good idea to know, should I ever need the info!

shaka

Jul 22, 2003
Manchester
www.amyderber.com
It is generally easier to spot a lame horse in trot and some of the time horses only show up lame in trot, not walk. It depends where the pain is coming from and how bad.

To start with, a sound horse stands square with weight on all four legs perpendicular to the ground. Sometimes a horse will rest a backleg whilst standing, but resting a frontleg is not common at all.

A lame horse will often throw his head in time with his stride. If the pain is in a front leg, he will throw his head up as the sore side touches the ground. If the lameness is in a back leg, he will lean onto the sound side. Sometimes they drag the toe on the sore side. Imagine when you ahve hurt your leg, as you put the sore one down, you may flinch and not take as big a step as with the other.

If the pain is in just one leg, the horse won't move evenly. The severity can range from a barely noticeable hitch in the stride to a reluctance to put any weight on one foot. If a horse is lame onboth front legs or all 4 legs, the horse won't limp, jsut hold his head up very high and take short steps, possibly stumbing or hopping.

It takes a lot of practice, but soon you will be able to spot a lame horse a mile away. Well, not quite:p

Kiaarn

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi,
when a horse is lame it favour's one leg by putting it's weight of another, Its action is also not consistent , in which meaning the horse is lame.
Hope this helps
Thanx Kiaarn:D :D

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Native Lover Melody is Lame šŸ˜¢ Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
Ale What would you do if you owned a horse that went lame? Cafe 9
H Is your horse lame? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 2
H Is your horse lame? Cafe 0
Jessey And she's lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 82
diplomaticandtactful Still lame Cafe 13
Siva the dressage diva Help my horse is lame and im panicking !! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
E slightly lame horse Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
chunky monkey Oh dear I have a lame horse Cafe 18
Bodshi Lame ... Not Lame ... Lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 26
domane I'm lame and on box rest! Cafe 11
Lissie Horse hunting, lame horses Cafe 109
Jessey Colicy lame pony Cafe 5
Bodshi Feeling fit and then ... lame - Update Cafe 14
Jessey My poor lame horse Cafe 7
C Lame! First Timers 18
B 7 months down the line and still lame.. :( Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 10
Jessey Lame and feeling sorry for herself......not! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
Jessey Jess is lame Cafe 24
chunky monkey Lame horse could it be lami Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
N Lame Cob, Update Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 133
popularfurball lame behind argh! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 24
Cortrasna Now Dolly is lame. Cafe 42
Rubic Rubic is lame again. UPDATE 2 Oh wait, we're lame again Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 29
Laura_107 K's still lame :-( Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 4
S Smartie- Lame Horse Care 23
OwnedbyChanter Chanters lame looks like a sprained fetlock Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 9
Ale Has a hopping lame haflinger :( Cafe 68
Billy Lame in back right but no heat or swelling Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 0
ladywiththebaby No wonder he was lame!! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 14
L Not his feet but still lame. Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 45
D Betty Still Lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 16
D Betty gone lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
Rubic well I jinxed myself... Rubic is lame again *another vet update* Cafe 32
Jane&Ziggy Sarcoid the least of my troubles - he is lame again - UPDATE Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 29
squidsin Argh my horse is lame! Cafe 14
R My horse is lame - Puss vibes please ! Horse Care 14
Jane&Ziggy Ziggy is lame - update from vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 35
OwnedbyChanter Ginger is Lame - update and no good news Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 52
eml I am 2/10ths lame Cafe 10
C Bob is lame :( Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 17
N Is This Horse Lame Or Working Long And Low? Bobbing Head Training of the Horse and Rider 16
shadowfax1967 hopping lame Metabolic 11
Ale Vet came out for lame horse, didn't trot him up! Cafe 15
Innocence Very lame pony! Hoof Care 10
happyhacker101 sound trotting downhill - lame trotting uphill?? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 10
diamonddogs Lame! Cafe 13
T Thyme is lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
Joyscarer Joy's still lame Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 21
Mary Poppins My poor pony is lame!! Cafe 40