Lame on solid ground and strange marks on legs!

Barman

Jan 28, 2010
Bolton, Lancashire
I meant to post this other day but couldnt find the wire to get the pictures off my phone :rolleyes: lol

Anyway as i said in my other thread, Ted has come back to me a little worse for wear. Hes lame on front and back leg (both left side). Hes not too bad in the school but soon as hes out on the stoney bit on the yard he's hopping on his front leg, back leg not quite as bad but stil noticably lame.

His feet were trimmed and looking fine a few days before he left me and have come back not in the best condition. Im wondering if having shoes on may help with his lameness but can he be shod with his front feet like they are?

Also, apart from his wound he did with me his legs were pretty clean when he left, no marks etc and they have come back with like lines all the way down them :confused: any ideas what it could be?

Going to get the farrier out first to check his feet see if theres anything causing this lameness, if not then vet will be called. Oh Ted does love to cost me lots of money.. good job i love him so much eh! :D

Anyway heres some pictures, legs with marks, feet now and also a video of him running in the school so you can see not really any discomfort there.. he cant even trot on solid ground without tripping up!

Excuse the part where i start running.. he wouldnt have stopped he would just run over me :p haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIKluncjzQ

Attachments

• DSC02053.jpg
    DSC02053.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02052.jpg
    DSC02052.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02050.jpg
    DSC02050.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02051.jpg
    DSC02051.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 45
caught a leg in a fence or something and pulled back, causing the lines?

with regards to the feet, how long did they have him? cos they are quite nasty chips?

Oh yikes they look nasty.

It's also strange how the marks are evenly spaced... could it be injury from a piece of machinery perhaps that he could have caught his leg on.

As for that chip.... *shudders*

They've only had him 5 weeks so no idea whats happened to his feet! and his legs i too am wondering as they are evenly spaced.. not a clue what it could be. We was thinking maybe boots that have been put on wrong or too tight but im sure it wouldnt leave marks like that! Its on both his front legs right the way down. My YO thought they mayhave tried to clip him and just done a bad job :confused: No idea!

I just dont know. Need to get to the bottom of why he's lame so think the vet needs to be called :( Poor boy

I don't think firing would have healed to that stage in less than five weeks, and why would they have "needed" to? It doesn't look like he broke down by the looks of his tendon. BTW, I am not a fan of firing in the first place!

Bandages on too tight? Wonder why... :confused:

Something connected to his rather sorry looking hoof?

Have seen almost identical marks on a horse from way too tight bandaging - eventually the hair drops out, the hair then grows back white and is permananet:mad: any reason why they would have had to bandage him do you know?

The hoof growth and shocking state looks very advanced for only 5 weeks growth to have altered them so much if they were fine when he left you?:confused:

Its what has happened to madams nose - things dont even have to be that tight - but it took 1.5 days for her nose to be bald (have now cut a triangle out of noseband of rug btw). If they bandaged him and left them on for a prolonged amount of time it would/could produce that - I doubt they would have put gamgee etc on and its very easy to overtighten elastic bandages.

... I have to agree on the hoof situation though - that looks like it had been happening longer than 5weeks - it could just be an illusion though as I cant tell if his hooves are in a bad way and thus that colour or if they are dirty. The dirty makes them look a lot worse.

May I ask when you got him originally?? The reason I ask is the most obvious explanation for those marks is firing.

Obviously the people who have just brought him back would not have fired him,and *if* he's been fired I suspect it was many years ago due to his current age.

What I was wondering is,if you only got him a few months ago,is it possible that due to winter coat you wouldn't have noticed the firing marks until now when coat sheds out?? Possibly not,and if you've had him ages or he doesn't get much of a thick winter coat then that theory is blown out the water,but there are very few other things those marks could be,especially as they are on both legs.

I'm not certain that bandages would have made those marks perfectly evenly on both legs,not saying it couldn't have happened,but the chances would be very slim TBH.

As for the hoof,is it possible he's been treated for an abcess?? Looks more like a 'man made' pared hoof than a natural chip or crack to me.

Ill get a picture of them together tomorrow.

And im not saying his feet were perfect when he left, they have always looked like that, but he didnt have that big chip in that hoof. I got them trimmed the week before he left, the farrier is due back in 3 weeks so it must have been 6 weeks ago and there was no chips or anything in them. I admit this could have been waiting to happen for a while if his feet were not already in the best condition but something must have happened to make them break like that.. she said he's not even been turned out :confused:

I have no idea why he would have been bandaged.. they took the bandage off his injured leg not long after they took him and let it heal without anything on so no reason for bandaging.

She has said she put boots on him everytime she took him for a walk, is it possible to tighten them so much it marks like that or maybe they have been left on too long.. :confused:

Oh i dont know, suppose ill never really get an answer to what really happened!

Not sure where we go from here though regarding his feet, is there anything i should be adding to his feed or something? He's extremely foot sore which is just difficult for me to understand as hes always been barefoot with no problems while ive had him.. ah well ill ask the farrier im sure he'll know whats best!

Horses eh.. they cause me more worry than my kids do!! lol :rolleyes:

I must admit that I was thinking along the same lines as DL - as in the fact that he was fired before you got him.

Guess that depends on how long you've had him as to whether this could be a poss or not?

May I ask when you got him originally?? The reason I ask is the most obvious explanation for those marks is firing.

Obviously the people who have just brought him back would not have fired him,and *if* he's been fired I suspect it was many years ago due to his current age.

What I was wondering is,if you only got him a few months ago,is it possible that due to winter coat you wouldn't have noticed the firing marks until now when coat sheds out?? Possibly not,and if you've had him ages or he doesn't get much of a thick winter coat then that theory is blown out the water,but there are very few other things those marks could be,especially as they are on both legs.

I'm not certain that bandages would have made those marks perfectly evenly on both legs,not saying it couldn't have happened,but the chances would be very slim TBH.

As for the hoof,is it possible he's been treated for an abcess?? Looks more like a 'man made' pared hoof than a natural chip or crack to me.

You know i did actually think earlier if the marks were there and just being covered by his winter coat.. but he doesnt get thatmuch of one really. Ive him since November last year so not really that long..

Here is a picture of his legs the day i got him.. maybe they were already there.. in which case i feel awful for thinking they may have caused it :eek:

Attachments

• legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 31
newrider.com