Ladies a quick question ....

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
Can the Doctor prescribe me anything to stop a period. I am going away next month just for a week around the time i normally get mine and really dont want to have to deal with it!!

I always seem to have reactions to the pill so was just wondering if there was something else :unsure:

Most things the gp can prescribe will be hormone based like the pill. If there is something other than the pill i would imagine it'll have similar side effects.

Given that you menstruate due to hormones you really need to take hormones to mess about with the cycle.

Have you considered a mooncup? No hormones involved but a good way to deal with a period discreetly. You dont have to carry towels or tampons just insert the mooncup and rinse when needed. Plus it can be kept in for up to 12hours.

I did that a while back , it's a bit, erm, how you say,.......hippy ish, the name put me off straight away.

What kind of reactions do you get with the pill? I couldn't cope with the combination pill (21 days on, 7 day break) so I went onto the mini pill (one a day constantly, no break). This is a different hormone and the side effects weren't near as bad. And one of the best side effects - no cycle ;) (can be 50:50 though, not everyone reacts this way...)

What kind of reactions do you get with the pill? I couldn't cope with the combination pill (21 days on, 7 day break) so I went onto the mini pill (one a day constantly, no break). This is a different hormone and the side effects weren't near as bad. And one of the best side effects - no cycle ;) (can be 50:50 though, not everyone reacts this way...)

Reactions so far the ones i have had have been moodiness, headaches and tiredness, lack of 'you know what' drive and a larger than normal appetite oh and water retention!

The mini pill is quite different from the ordinary or 'combined' Pill. Unlike the ordinary Pill it only has one hormone - not two. That hormone is a progestogen (often mistakenly called a 'progesterone'.)

A progestogen - which is an artificially manufactured hormone - is very like progesterone, which is one of the female hormones the body produces. Unlike the 'ordinary' Pill, the mini-Pill contains no oestrogen at all.

It is the oestrogen in the ordinary Pill that is responsible for many of its side effects - including the ones you mention. So going on the mini-Pill, instead of the Pill, immediately reduces your chances of dangerous side effects.

problem with the mini pill is that if you are anything over "normal" weight then it isn't particularly effective. I've stayed on the combined pill because i'm classed as too heavy for the mini pill. Even at my slimmest (12 stone) i was still too heavy to be on it.

I suffer the side effects as i take the pill for medical reasons and don't want a hysterectomy at 28 (they offered me one at 17! absolutely not!). would it be worth putting up with the side effects just in the short term? your other alternatives would be the likes of the mirena however it's got to be put in at a certain time and may not (initially) prevent all bleeding.

mini pill and mirena coil would most likely take a number of months to settle down and result in amenorrhea if this happpens at all. Short term combined pill is probably the most likely thing to have the desired efffect. All those side effects you metioned would probably be less noticeable in the very short term.

Mooncups are fab and Wally if you don't like its name you can go for the diva cup:dance: which is a slightly bigger version of the mooncup. No risk of toxic shock syndrome, less waste, and less hassle in the long run!

I remember researching the mooncup a few years back.

I decided against because of the practicailties of washing it out in public loos.

I remember researching the mooncup a few years back.

I decided against because of the practicailties of washing it out in public loos.

That was my reason I rejected it, there's no basin in the cubicles and wandering about a public loo with a full one would be gross. Not sure emptying them and washing them out in public hand basins where folk have to wah hands not knowing the hygeine routine in them is just yuck!

I was offered the Mirena implant instead of my sterilisation, this should eventually stop your periods or make them very light.

'Fraid I'd just deal with the period and not try and prevent it, if I thought I'd react badly. Have you tried some of the safer, thicker towels? They aren't like nappies anymore and they are surprisingly discreet and last a long while. Coupled with comfy dark coloured jeans and a packet of panadols you can't go wrong! (Always assuming you're going away in this country and not somehwere hot where a bikini or swimsuit is required!lol).

I had the implant and a part from the first month where I was a bit up and down and kept driving the wrong way. I also managed to catch it last week with my nail and it got a bit infected but nothing bit of germoline didn't solve. I love it! No periods, no thinking about the pill anymore.

I react to certain types of pill too - Im on a 2nd generation hormone - microgynon, cilest etc cause vomiting, headaches, being miserable and tiredness - but I dont suffer anywhere near as badly on this one - the downside its not as effective with spots Ive found.

newrider.com