Lack of confidence in yourself. :/

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Right, I'll try to keep it short.

I've got issues over my horse and his weight carrying capabilities.

He's a chunky lad, and I've never had a professional tell me when asked directly that I've been to heavy for him.

However because of his shape and a badly fitted saddle :)stomp: and :cry: from guilt) it left him girthy and sore, he needed a lot of physio within the first 6 months of me owning him due to the saddle slipping and other things.

Because of those problems in the early days of me owning him it has left me paranoid about his back and if he is comfortable. Slightest thing I have the vet out, only to be told 'He's fine, just being grumpy from remembered pain, get on him and enjoy him.' Been told this by 4 different vets (two different practices :eek: )

However a few weeks ago I decided to stop riding altogether as I need to crack on with some other things in my life and it'll do him no harm to be a field ornament for awhile.

Last time I rode him, I thought he seemed a bit different when ridden, I don't know if it was my mindset thinking 'Last ride for a little while, let's enjoy this, but is he OK?!'. I kept finding myself turning him back after we had walked over a patch of damp sand to check he was tracking up ok and not taking short steps, as a means to see if he was walking along ok carrying me (this is how big my issues and worries are :banghead: ) we were out for no more than 30 mins at a walk.

He did however do some really nice long and low stretches when I tried to ask :)wub:) but subconsciously I still remain convinced he can only carry 11 stone max .

I had the farrier out this week to have his shoes removed and there was a right carry on over having his hind feet picked up, farrier even commented he felt strange on his right side and was really protesting about having it held.

So in a flap, I've booked a local therapist to come and have a look at him, she's coming on Wednesday and I'm really scared she's going to find something wrong, and if it is it's because of my weight and I've caused it to my poor horse. :frown:

Can we see pictures of him or even better, if you can stand it, you on him?? What type is he?

Sorry, I've had a break from the forum as I've not had broadband in the new house so excuse me for not already knowing.

I'm sure you're both fine, my old boy was 15.3-16hh (ish) and cleveland bay x cob and he carried an 18st man happily in canter across a field (he wasn't meant to be cantering and the man was a novice, novices tend to sit heavier but he was happy to take the **** as thats what he did!)

I think alot of it is parnoia - tis with me anyway :redcarded:

Although im not classed as too heavy for my pony i still am so paranoid about the fit of saddle.
OH gets really fed up with, because i focus that much on it constantly it ends up ruining my ride.

Like you i will panick at the slightest thing....like if hes hyper and running everywhere, or stumbles i will jump off and immediatly start inspecting the saddle :redface:

I annoy myself with it to be honest. Im trying to convince OH to go train as a saddle fitter so that he can tell me everyday that its fine!

Im sure your not over weight for your horse. I know its hard when someone tells you otherwise because it starts all kinds of self doubt in your head.

I think getting a physio out to have alook is a good idea, hopefully it will put your mind at rest and you can start enjoying riding again.

xx :)

Horses can carry far more than most people realise. UK Natives generally as a rule of thumb carry 1 stone for every hand of height and some more!

Most native ponies, Arabs and Tbs can take a fully grown man ..so minimum 12-13stone . The problem comes with horses of poor conformation however if you have chunky horse 14 stone plus is generally realistic. If in doubt measure the bone below the knee for a better guide, more bone=more weight carrying. Very few can carry less then 12stone.

newrider.com