Labelling a 'Known Kicker'

lesley8

Nov 14, 2008
Northern England
One for a debate.

Does anyone on here own a 'Known Kicker'?

What do you, as a horse owner/rider/ in-the-know legal/insurance person, think denotes labeling a horse with such a term?

my mare is known pure evil... (although these days shes reformed)

i always warn others and make her sound a million times worse than she is, better to be safe than take a chance and be sorry.

One of mine will kick out at other horses under saddle in some circumstances, invariably catching the riders instead :confused: I think the main purpose of 'labelling' a horse is to try and avoid further incidents taking place, can't see there's much of a problem with that if it's justified?

i agree! i'd rather know if someone's horse is a kicker! better safe than sorry! mind you, i think sometimes people are embarrassed or ashamed if their horse is a kicker and would rather play the whole thing down (like having a naughty child or something) ...

im always careful to the verge of utter paranoia when leading any horses past other horses ... even with ones where i know for a fact they do NOT kick at all :eek: (mine hasnt kicked anyone before but i always make sure shes out of the way when people go past because sometimes when she's in a bad mood she'll put her ears back and loom menacingly ..)

Julia
x

Only one, and then only when she's in foal, she was sweet as anything this year not in foal.

The rest of them are all daft as brushes.

My mare isn't a kicker,which is probably just as well as if she was to kick I don't think whoever she kicked would be getting back up anytime soon,big beastie heiffer that she is:rolleyes:

I do think that it is better to tell people if you own a horse that is a kicker,at least people can then be careful around them.

Definitely better safe than sorry.

Lou is a 'kicker'. She has improved during the time I've had her, but will ALWAYS put her ears back when a horse comes within a certain distance and also went through a phase where she would ALWAYS kick under these circumstances. Now she is a lot better, and on her old yard there were one or two horses I could ride side by side with provided we kept a sizeable gap (usually involved one on one side of the lane and one on the other!) between us. I always tell people who are going to be handling horses near her and also warn people when they need to ride past me on hacks. It was made VERY clear to her loan owner that she would and could kick, and we always do the red tail ribbon at shows. Though, I'm not sure many people pay attention to this, especially the pony club kids!!! There is honestly nothing more annoying than having a teenager on a scabby show pony charge down the tiny gap between you and the ring when your horse is wearing a BRIGHT RED tail ribbon. It's not there for decoration!! Don't they teach these kids anything?!
If you own a 'kicker', you must tell people. It's ridiculous not to.

i im always careful to the verge of utter paranoia when leading any horses past other horses ... even with ones where i know for a fact they do NOT kick at all :eek:
Julia
x

Don't I just know it!! hee hee - the amount of times you have to bring Madge past mine and you always ask if they will be ok :D

PS made your sign up today.

I warn EVERYONE of mine!
My gelding doesnt like certain men (usually the ones I dont like either)...he looks all grumpy and snarls - he'll happily take a swing at them (and has done on a couple of occasions) but hes never actually hurt anyone.... Infact there was one man (who is just a miserable git - causes alot of problems wherever he goes, lol) who decided that he was going to go into the field and say 'hello' to my horse....the horse did not approve of him :D, and apparently went all out to get him!
The man, by the way, admitted to walking up BEHIND the horse whilst he was eating, and must have just startled him (he said he didnt know you should let the horse know you are there, and walk up the side). Besides that, it was 8pm in the middle of winter and therefore pitch black - my horse had only been in the field 2 days [moved from Cornwall to Nottinghamshire], so was bound to be on edge!
I didnt feel too bad about that particular incident considering the circumstances- it was the mans fault and he didnt get kicked/injured....however, my horse still doesnt like him - even in the broad light of day!
I do warn people, even now, of how my horse might behave....I tell everyone to be careful, just incase....I even let them know that he is grumpy and naturally oppinionated, and will question what you ask him to do until you let him know that you will NOT be controlled by him....
In all fairness though, my horse has never actually made contact anyone (yet) - I'd have thought that if he really meant to cause any damage, then he'd have managed to do it by now!?
Ok, so he can be grumpy - he sometimes comes in with his ears back, grumbling and pulling faces, but I just send him out into the school and give him a good chase - how dare he threaten me! After that, he's fine - much more willing to focus on me, and certainly alot less grumpy! :)
Most of the time he's actually quite a sweet horse - wants to be with you, like meeting new people (especially women and children...oh, and dogs :D)infact, he actively seeks you out to lie next to you and sunbathe (aaaaw - I think you can see evidance of such in my photo albums).

....Ive also noticed that, although he might no like what you are asking him to do, he does take care of the person in the saddle - even if he's spooked at something he just holds his breath, puffs himself up then snorts.....doesnt run off with a rider, nor has he bucked anyone off (even when I first backed him - I just hopped up and he was fine!) :D... im even happy to let young children sit on him for a plod on the rope or around the field....
If you try lunging him without a rider, on the otherhand, he may squeak, throw a small buck, and even kick out - but he does it so that he's nowhere near you! I let him have his say when hes on the otherside of the school, and then we have no more problems for the rest of the session - I think he just likes to voice his disproval! He does so tactfully though - wont risk bucking anyone off or kicking anyone.... perhaps hes afraid that I might make him do even more work as a punishment, lol :D

For the most part, I think he's very good - especially for my friends 2 kids - they run out, grab him, swing off his neck, and then lead him back to the stable (they are 4 and 5 years old...the horse in question is 4 and near 17hh)...they do all sorts with him - run around him, even under his belly, pull his tail and he still does nothing to tell them off...:D

Still....I do warn people of what he could do though- just incase he does decide he doesnt like them for whatever reason :confused: I wouldnt put it past him to kick (more so a man) if s/he got in the way/between him and his food.*

*Incidently, he's not agressive with food - just pushy...you can do anything with him whilst hes eating - even take the bucket away and all he does is put his ears back and try to reach over your shoulder.....he does listen to voice commands though - if you shout "GET BACK", he does obey :D

Do you think labelling him a "kicker" is too hard on him?
Or do you think im being too soft in the way I described him?

ETA - Ive not noticed my horse kicking any other horses - either out on a hack, or when hes been at other yards/herds....but that doesnt mean to say that he wont take a dislike to another horse at somepoint in the future and give them a good boot! I dont think he would do that, but Id warn the owners just incase....He's not got shoes on, so wont cause as much damage, but still...I dont think its worth the risk. I think hes more the sort of horse to bite another horse to "herd" them forward than he is the sort of horse to kick another just to get them out of the way....Id say he's generally pretty sociable! In the past, he was the horse that was kicked/bullied by other horses....but he was young then.....hes now 4 years old, and will be more full of himself/confident...so who knows how he'd fit into another "herd"!?
Hes the boss at the moment....but theres only him and my little filly in my field :D.....Im waiting for my filly to grow up and realise that actually, shes big enough to be the boss!
p.s. there were no reports of him kicking any other horses/handlers whilst he went to a school to be looked after whilst I was on honeymoon....infact, they rather liked him!:D

Last edited:
I try to warn everyone that gets near Jackson. He's not so much "a kicker"(although he has let loose on the occasional crowder), but he does nip. I would much rather people be aware and take the proper precautions around him. The other day another boarder was picking Jacks stall, we pick for each other whenever we're there.(Jeff is NOT extremely horse wise, has owned one for years and is still pretty clueless). I've warned him about Jack, but he didn't listen and left Jack in the stall with him. He thinks it's funny how interested Jack is in the barrow and the manure fork, but he didn't think it was funny when he was bent over not paying a bit of attention and Jack nipped him on the back. He is LOADS better about biting than he was when he was a baby, but it's a slow progression and I've learned to keep one eye open for the little twitch he does with his lips before he reaches for someone.

if your horse has a red ribbon and is out hunting or at a show or something and someone elses horses gets injured because they have come to close it is on their insurance and not yours as you have given warning. however if your horse kicks out and injures someone and does not have a ribbon then it is your insurance that has to pay up. something i learnt out hunting recently and just thouight i'd share it.

I tell everyone to give Jimmys arse a wide birth. He hasnt kicked now for ages but you just can never risk these things....

At Shows he has a HUGE red ribbon and I give anyone a HUGE bollocking if they risk passing anywhere near his bum...:mad:

newrider.com