Knee surgery & Riding, anyone else had it?

Ace87

Quitus & Strike
Aug 8, 2007
Bedfordshire
I got some bad news yesterday - the problems i have with my joints have worsened in the last 2 weeks and the time has come for me to be put on the waiting list for an Arthroscopy for reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. I had this explained as 3 small incisions for a camera and an instrument and fluid round my knee, fill my knee with fluid to inflate it then they'll cut my ligaments, stretch them, and rejoin them tighter.

What they couldn't tell me is how long I won't be able to ride?! It's such dreadful timing as it's likely to come along just as Q is going out to his first competitions etc. and I'll have to pay someone to take over riding him for a while. Apparently athletes can return to athletic training within weeks but I'm not sure what proceedure that relates to!

If anyone knows anything, has had something similar I'd love to know more, hear your experiences etc, I know very little about it and as I said doctors couldn't comment on riding! Thanks :)

P.S just looked up some pics of it on google - must now dash to bring up the petit filous I had for brekkie!!!

Not sure if this helps but my mum tripped while trotting in-hand with her horse, then horse went over top of her and landed on her - she hit the ground so fast she didn't even get a hand out, scuffed her chin and the peak of her hat saved her head/rest of her face. She broke the femur and dislocated her knee straight out the back of her leg (apparently very rare and the worst dislocation you can have).

The consultants said she would always have a limp and would probably never ride again. They decided against surgery to try to repair the ligament damage like yours as they did not anticipate that the results would be any better. The ligaments were so damaged she couldn't even point her toes/foot up and had a 'dropped foot'. She did loads of physio while she was stuck in hospital (just using a bandage to lift toes up and down) and then once she got the full leg cast off she was doing as much of the exercises and going to as much physio as she could.

The ligaments are still weak sideways and can just go at any time - she can't do anymore inhand classes BUT she walks without a limp, I had her on a new (bombproof) horse within about 4 months and after 6 months she was back to looking after her new horse herself and riding. Now you would never know there was anything wrong with her but she can't crouch down for long or trot the horses up. She's even been riding my 17hh 4yr old TBxSF! Still getting some chiropractic work done to straighten her out as she looks a bit crooked when riding.

All the best Ace87 - I hope the surgery works out for you.

Hi there

I had an arthroscopy in June 06 due to a recurrent dislocating knee. I think I was out of action for about 6 weeks. It was unsuccessful and I had a medial ligament reconstruction last Feb and I couldn't ride for 4 months.

I find riding helps my knee I just have to be careful getting on. I can't get on from the ground, I use a block and horse must stand perfectly still as I can't risk twisting. Other than that no major problems, occasional stiffness after a really long hack but it doesn't stop me doing anything.

yes ive had it you will literally have a cut no bigger than an inch i rode 8wks after surgery but couldnt mount from ground etc i would say no jumpping/trotting for at least 10wks... you will be walking on it the next day but have crutches for long distances give it at least 2wks off riding only ride properly when u can comfortably do the stairs or at least one!

I had an ACL repair done in April this year and still having probs now. Wasn't allowd to drive for 8wks. Very difficult with 2 kids needing to go here there and everywhere

I bit the bullet and rode for the first time 3wks ago :) Echo the problems about getting on and found rising trot a bit painfull to start with. I strap my knee up really well not and yeah no more pain:p
Knee still swells up a bit afterwards but I'm blaming the cold weather:rolleyes:
My Dr and Physio were both positive that riding shouldn't be a problem but advised waiting the 6mths and TBH am glad I did :)
just measured my scar and its 3":eek: Very flattering - no more shorts or skirts:eek:

Good luck with the op hope it all goes well for you;)

I had both my knees done at the same time, exactly the same surgery as you are having. I rode two weeks later. But not strenuously and I was rubbish. After a month, I was beginning to rebuild the fitness and it took 6 months for them to feel better than before. Now, 1.5 years later, I have few problems unless I shorten my stirrups. Riding was the best exercise to sort them out, but I don't ride competitively.

Oh god I just cried!

Next year is supposed to see Q out competing BD and collecting his points up until I think he's old enough and mentally mature enough and knows what his legs are doing enough to turn his foot to BSJA.

Just spoke to a surgeon who said no competitive riding for 6 months minimum. I am so gutted. WHY ON EARTH CAN NOTHING FOR ME AND HIM BE STRAIGHTFORWARD!!!

I feel so bad for feeling so upset about this when other people have much MUCH worse things to worry about but I feel like all my hopes and dreams are being put on hold once again :(

Well, mine wasn't exactly the same, but about 5 years ago i had a car crash and broke my sternum (chest bone) had head injuries, broken hand, and also lost most of my kneecap and the surrounding tissue due to the manual choke handle (yes, the car was ancient!!) going through my knee.

I had to have 2 reconstructive surgeries on my knee, and then another plastic surgery to try to make the scarring less bad. In all, i wasn't able to walk for over a year as i had to keep my leg completely straight for 9 months, and then all the muscles had become rigid (not to mention agony!!) so i needed physio to get my knee to bend again. It was about 18months in all before i could ride.

5 years on and i am still very weak in that knee and it has ruined my seat and position, it will improve, but not too much so out went my dreams of being a professional rider :(

But, ignore whatever the doctors tell you about when you will be able to ride as there really is no way of telling and it depends on how you heal. I was told i'd never ride again, maybe not even walk (!!!), my mum even tried to convince me to sell Charlie!!!! But i got back riding eventually, so the doctors dont know everything ;)

ACL Surgery

My Daughter had this surgery at the end of march, wasn't able to drive for 8 weeks and started riding again at the end of August. she just took it slowly at first building up from 20 mins to an hour over two weeks and then just steady - no excitable horses. but she is now nearly back to normal - whatever that is, glad to be back in the saddle. So good luck with your op. - Make sure you do exactly what your phsyio tells you and keep up with the exercises and you will be ok in no time. Oh and take Arnica before you have the op and keep bags of frozen peas in the freezer for after!

Aww hun that is terrible news. I have been avoiding seeing a surgeon for years as i know that due to having HyperMobility Syndrome, he will not be able to do anything for me.
Most of the time my knee is fine but loads of crouching down while filing at work yesterday has made it flare up.
I hope you are fit fast if you do have to have work done.

Echo the importance of physio - my ex damaged his cruciate ligament, he couldn't be bothered with the physio and had his leg in a brace for nearly 10 years :eek: Another friend who did the physio was OK & playing football again in 6 months.

I broke my tibial plateau in late 2003, had knee surgery & now have a plate and 5 screws holding the bottom of my knee joint together. The docs were quite gloomy - you may never regain full mobility, it'll always hurt, you'll get arthritis in the joint, and why on earth would you want to get on a horse anyway? But I was back on board in 10 weeks and competed in my first affiliated BE event less than a year later :) My knee gets a bit stiff & sore sometimes but nothing that I can't live with. If you are a regular rider you ought to have pretty strong legs, good balance & the incentive to get fixed up & back in the plate is a great motivator when the physio starts to hurt. Best of luck - I'm sure you'll bounce back from this if you keep your chin up & stay positive ;)

ive had both knees down ,i was riding within a week , but then again i was riding a week after crushing my foot , i couldnt wieght bare at all. As long as i can get on i ride , though when i broke my leg i was in the middle of exmoor , and had to get on my horse so i could get to the road to get help

Flashy you're very brave!

I'm not sure what I'll be able to do, my shoulder is a mass of metal pins but healed quickly, and I finished that competition minutes after the fall that shattered my shoulder. It was either that or wait for the stretcher to get half way round the XC course!

Quitus is 16.3hh so getting on will be very difficult. Once I'm on I would have thought I'll be fine in walk? I've often ridden him without stirrups before he got used to them so that's okay.. However I assume a 4 year old large horse is hardly the ideal steed while recouperating!

I'd love it to be a quick healing process and would do everything possible to ensure that, I already take my physio very seriously due to my Hyper Mobility Syndrome which appears to have caused the break down in the ligaments in my knee. So watch out those of you with Hypermobility!

Thanks for all the advice though, I'm gonna take it to my appt with the orthopod :)

Don't worry my dear , I had an ACL doen on my right knee and vaious other bits too, and if you work hard in building up the muscles in the top and bottom of your leg to help support your knee you will be fine. Lots of swimming and physio is the key My knee is fine now and I waqs riding between 5 - 10 horses a day at showjumping yard 6 months later.

Good luck :)

That's good to know Hayley! Some people on here have had much more awful things like Jessica23 - I really admire all you went through you're a very brave person and it all sounded veryyyy painful! x

Update:
This is the email I just recieved from my surgeons secretary - he has looked over all my scans and has himself poked about at my knees..

"Hi A*****

I have now had the chance to speak to Mr B. He says you are looking at between 9-12 months (because of the ligament and sustained damage to it) before you will be able to go back to horseriding. This is just a ball park timescale. If you want some more detailed information you might like to speak to Mr M whose secretary is on extension ****.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

J****"

Oh.My.God.

i had both knee cartilages done and had a year off riding, i have to be careful that i don't put to much stress on my knees when riding, which means taking my feet out a lot and walking if doing really long rides:eek:

For what it's worth, doctors always tend to over exagerate to cover themselves. I would see what they say in person. I'd advise you though to try and follow their advice, not worth hopping back on after two months to screw it up again and need another 2 years off.

Oh no I wouldn't not do what I'm told! I wouldn't want to risk what I could have with a bit of patience! I'm just gutted that it's so long with such a promising young horse to my name! I'd be better off with a 3 legged donkey at this rate!! LOL.

Mum is being very good and offering to ride him while I can't - and she's terrified of riding anything over 16hh so I am very lucky to have a wonderful mum!

newrider.com