knee surgery in dogs

Ceiron

Dec 22, 2006
bedfordshire
teddy ruptured the ligament holding his patella in place so has had surgery to repair and strengthen it.

its all gone well although only 2 weeks post surgery but he is sound and happy but on strict rest.

he is a rotweiller so we all though cruciate.

has anybody any experiences of this problem ?

he has been brill but really does not agree with medication as have tried loads and they just upset him esp the pain killers.

although he has not really needed them.

he does however now have a nice scar and one entirely shaved hind leg.lol

he also had a robert jones on for a week which i have never seen on anything bar a horse.

Poor lad. Had a couple of dogs get their cruciate done.
I stopped the pain relief as my lot were just being too mobile and needed to feel it a bit or they would have been galumping like normal.

Yes, been there too. Our little collie blew her cruciate ligament & joint apart when she was only 18 months old. She was out for a walk with me running across an open field when I lost sight of her down a stream bed. When she popped up she was on 3 legs. Had to call hubby to bring the car up & carry her off to the vets.

Ellie too had a completely shaved back leg. Her 'ankle' joint was re-built - they had to take part of it out as it was too badly damaged - and all bound together with a pin and something like fishing line. The worst part was keeping her quiet for going on for 8 months. No exercise at all (other than toileting) for a couple of months. Then just short potters on the lead, no jumping. Finally a little off the lead after a few months. Nightmare. To start with hubby made a little height-restricted indoor crate out of old pallet wood. It was the only way we could keep her from jumping up!

She's now 6 and right as rain. There's the teeniest bit of stiffness on cold and wet days, or if she's been lying by the gate on the hard ground, but generally you wouldn't know. We recognise she may have arthritis and other problems in older age. You can still feel all the wire and sticky out bits under the skin.

Metacam for a good while afterwards to ease the pain, but not too much, and after that only when it bothered her. The vet did really well - not many years ago it would have been amputation or pts, now she's almost as good as new.

So I would say don't worry too much. It won't be easy, but is quite a common injury and good outcomes are usual (80% success rate with the first procedure) Good luck with it all!

newrider.com