Knee boots

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Buddy boy is a bit of a clutz so he wears knee boots just to be sure.

I have Westrop neoprene boots and they are useless, they keep falling down.

Anyone any experience of any boots which stay in place and fit a chunky leg?

Sorry no help at all - had three pairs for Joe and they were all pants!! Had some posh leather ones he came with but they really did nothing and fell down after a short while. Hope someone can recommend some on here!

I have a pair of leather boots which I have had for such a long time - probably about 15 years - and they are still going strong. They have maybe fallen down a couple of times and I never hack without using them. Leather ones are a lot more expensive now than I paid for mine but if and when I need a new pair I would go for leather again. Mac also has chunky legs !

Bought some very expensive ones, which are even worse, fall down in under ten minutes.

Retailer refuses to take them back as they were on 'sale' i.e had knocked a few quid off them. Manufacturers say that my horse has defective knees!

"Firstly, conformationally your horse has little in the way of definition between his upperleg and knee which would make it tricky for any knee boot to stay in place"

I am insulted, he has beautiful knees that I am trying to protect.....

"Secondly, the bottom strap is secured far too tightly and as your horse moves and bends his knees this strap is pulling on the base of the boot hence pulling them down. This lower strap should be as loose as possible so that it is not affected by the horses movement. When fitted correctly, the lower strap must be loose as its job is to stop the boot being flipped up above the knee in the event that the horse should go down on the road for example. If this strap is done up tightly, then it will interfere with the leg movement and effectively pull the boots down. Also, please note they are designed for roadwork, if you are cantering in them etc then again, this could be another cause.

I’m afraid that there is no fault with these boots but they have been fitted incorrectly and also, they do not suit the conformation of your horse. With the best will in the world, its impossible for us to design boots that will fit every horse as they are all so different"

Given the boots come with no instructions on how to fit them, and I was only walking in them, they are pretty much not fit for purpose. If knee boots cannot stay on, then they do not work. I did say I used them for roadwork at walk only.

So does anyone want a pair of highly expensive knee boots which will fit a horse with proper knees but clearly not my very defective boy?

Annoying or what?!!! I was lucky as my local tack shop happily swapped mine after they fell down seconds after fitting - was heading out hacking so turned back with them (was on a yard then and tack shop was on site). Sell 'em on ebay!

Ive always used leather ones, like they say they should be fitted pretty snugly at the top and as loose as possible at the bottom. Perhaps its a case that the lower strap is not long enough on the ones you have to give any flexibility and its just tugging it down.

I must say sounds rather patronizing customer service then trying to be useful. If its not fit for use then its not fit for use!

I would sell them on ebay and make sure I never use that company again!

well it was one of the very big companies....I was pretty amazed at their response, at the very least they could have offered to swap for another product if this one couldn't be made to work.

the retailer refuses to take them back as they were 'sale' items i.e. reduced from £45 to £34 - hardly a bargain - so they say they only take them back if faulty.

Woof Wear say they are not faulty, it is Bud's fault for having rubbish knees that don't stick out enough - poor boy, hope he doesn't have a complex about it.

Yes I can resell them on ebay, probably at a loss, and at the end of the day still don't have boots! I have found a 20 year old pair of leather ones and am softening them up to see if they will fit him!

I don't see that them being on 'sale' negates distance selling regulations, ebay 7 day cancellation of orders etc. But they will only let me return them if they are faulty, the manufacturer says they are not faulty, so there is no point in returning them and paying the cost of that for nothing.

Why is it almost everything you buy is crap and doesn't work?

Open a case stating not as described if they are not fit for purpose, ebay *should* in most cases ask you to return it and override the sellers requests. You should return it via a signed for method if asked to do so. Worth a shot anyway as you will have nothing to loose. Ebay will then once evidence of return shows automatically refund you whether the seller grumbles or not.

I did a leg survey, on the basis of no definition between upper limb and knee, then Suze and Fleurette are also deficient, Leo might just pass, Rose would be ok, Tintin and Vodka but not Ferguson and Aimee.

I was going to get those ones, my only concern is how big the bottom bit is, as I got a pair of brushing boots which wouldn't even go around him and if these come up small they would not fit.

I dug out a pair of 20 year old leather knee boots, cleaned them up yesterday as they were filthy and hard as whatever, and these stayed on this morning.

newrider.com