kissing spines/ sacriliac joint

Mollymoo26

May 22, 2009
Hi All,

Yesterday I called the vet out to my horse as whilst cantering or schooling I got a massive bucking fit (not excitement - clearly in pain) and she is very uncomfortable to work and go forward or on a circle and is holding her tail very high up and to the left.

I have had several back people look at her over the past few months all saying she is very tight over the back non however have managed to pin point where the exact pain is coming from. I suspect she has kissing spines and has damage to the sacriliac joint my vet seconds me on this and want to scan on her. She had a rotational fall last November whilst jumping and she hasnt been sound since in 8 months she has been lame on and off. I also gave her three months off after the fall. I should point out that I have had the vet out to her twice in the last 8mths one gave her accunpunture the other told me to bring her into the vet college for scans obvioulsy I wanted to wait before going the expensive route.

Should one or both be the result can she is ever be ridden again? anyone elses horse had one or both problems? how have they been since diagnosis can they resume a fairly normal riding career if I have to retire her I am more than happy to this she is my life love the girl to bits ps. she is 14 years young:frown:

Hi All,

Yesterday I called the vet out to my horse as whilst cantering or schooling I got a massive bucking fit (not excitement - clearly in pain) and she is very uncomfortable to work and go forward or on a circle and is holding her tail very high up and to the left.

I have had several back people look at her over the past few months all saying she is very tight over the back non however have managed to pin point where the exact pain is coming from. I suspect she has kissing spines and has damage to the sacriliac joint my vet seconds me on this and want to scan on her. She had a rotational fall last November whilst jumping and she hasnt been sound since in 8 months she has been lame on and off. I also gave her three months off after the fall. I should point out that I have had the vet out to her twice in the last 8mths one gave her accunpunture the other told me to bring her into the vet college for scans obvioulsy I wanted to wait before going the expensive route.

Should one or both be the result can she is ever be ridden again? anyone elses horse had one or both problems? how have they been since diagnosis can they resume a fairly normal riding career if I have to retire her I am more than happy to this she is my life love the girl to bits ps. she is 14 years young:frown:

Sorry to hear about your mare..:( There are several very informative threads about KS on the HHO forum, one of which has a blog link detailing from diagnosis, the surgery & post op (with pics as well). I will see if i can hunt it down.

Thank you Candy a very lovely well written blog I feel like I am reading about the identical twin of my horse, this horse has exactly the same prognosis. :smile:

A horse on our yard was diagnosed with kissing spine last year I think - you could see a visible lump on his spine. They decided to treat him with physio first - the physio lady gave his owners some exercises that they had to do with him every day (long-reining over poles of different heights etc) to strengthen the muscles in his back so they could support his spine better.

He came right with the exercises and they don't have to do them any more, but he does have to be ridden regularly and has to work properly in a contact to keep his back muscles strong.

Hope you get to the bottom of what's wrong with your mare and get it sorted out ok.

My first port of call would be sports massage, if you can find someone who also does mctimoney even better.
Tight muscles due to pain can give the impression of back pain, it could be the poll or pelvis. The horse is linked and something wrong in one area causes a domino effect.

Hi both thank you for the replies I have tried sports massages, physio, ostepaths, chrio I even bought an equisage nothing has helped my horse. She is so tight and sore through her back that she limps in from the field until I have massaged and loosened her back through my own self taught massage and use of the equisage.

Have a word with midnight ashes as Alfie has just had his sarcolic joint medicated I think!

newrider.com