kincade hunting style breastplate&martingale - any1 got? does it rub?

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
question in the title... the bit of leather that goes over the neck and thus sits on the mane seems very wide, and I wondered f anyone had one of these, and if so - does it rub your horses mane?

how tight should it be?

Last edited:
Yep - that's the same one as mine.

No, hasn't rubbed Molly's mane as such - but hers is a bit thinner at that end anyway which I think was caused by rugs and her general itchiness :rolleyes: but as far as I can tell the breastplate hasn't made it any worse.

I'll see if I can find a pic with her wearing it.

I'm pleased with it - good value. Leather could be a bit softer - but I've not oiled it much yet (got it in late June) :)

I have one similar just not kincade and I find it rubs less than my other one which is thinner as it doesnt move about as much!!!

Great for a grab at as well when things dont go right!!!:eek:

Nikki xxxx

I've got a Kincade bp and it's great. I have it quite loosely fitted - I can proabably get between 3 and 4 fingers between his mane and the leather 'handle'. I only have it there as an emergency grab strap so don't have the martingale sections and don't need it to be tightly fitting. It hasn't rubbed his mane at all.

Don't see why it should be rubbing... :eek: Have you checked the fit of it?

You could always just put a fleece wrap around it?

thanks for the replies:)

i only got it and used it for the first time today - so it hasnt actually rubbed... I was just worried that it might, given that its quite broad and lies over the mane - moving with the movement of the horse, even when slack:rolleyes: Im paranoid now after his combo ate the bottom of his mane in April and it is only just growing back, so im very precious about it:eek::D

thanks for the replies:)

i only got it and used it for the first time today - so it hasnt actually rubbed... I was just worried that it might, given that its quite broad and lies over the mane - moving with the movement of the horse, even when slack:rolleyes: Im paranoid now after his combo ate the bottom of his mane in April and it is only just growing back, so im very precious about it:eek::D

i have a very broad cob and it has been fine on him he has a full size one!:)

I've got a Kincade bp and it's great. I have it quite loosely fitted - I can proabably get between 3 and 4 fingers between his mane and the leather 'handle'. I only have it there as an emergency grab strap so don't have the martingale sections and don't need it to be tightly fitting. It hasn't rubbed his mane at all.

Same here. I have a Kincade and it was cheap as chips, about £16. Love it, though I found their sizes were a bit on the scrimpy side. My full is almost on the last buckle and, though my girl is a muscular sort, she's not oversize so I thought a full would be better fit than an extra full.

i have one and use it on my IDxTb who's 17.2hh and it doesnt rub and its only large and i normally need extra large

newrider.com