Kim Poodle

Just back from vets. He thought she was a bit better, could manipulate her a little bit and has taken her off gavapenton as it can make them wobbly. She has had an iv micro dose of ketamine which should replace the gavepenton which we will stop and given her 4 weeks of pain control. She goes back on Tuesday for a further look. While he is on holiday, he isn't going away so if we have an emergency at least he is around. Still hoping she might have her surgery in Jnauary if she keeps improving.

A friend's dog went very wobbly, as in could barely stand unsupported, on gavapenton so hopefully replacing that with ketamine will help. It's good to hear the vet thinks she's looking better, I don't know about you but I doubt myself and wonder if any improvements I see are actually in my head because I want them so badly, that means having someone confirm them makes me feel much happier.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
A friend's dog went very wobbly, as in could barely stand unsupported, on gavapenton so hopefully replacing that with ketamine will help. It's good to hear the vet thinks she's looking better, I don't know about you but I doubt myself and wonder if any improvements I see are actually in my head because I want them so badly, that means having someone confirm them makes me feel much happier.
I can see she is better, not walking quite so like one of those two coach trolley buses where the front and back articulate. she is also doing her dance, smile and tail way and her eyes have expression again, a bit of fire in them. Plus she stole all the cat food today, even the dry food....Snuck in and ate 9 plates of it.....She is walking on the lead and pulling you to go places, yes still a bit wobbly. Have to lift her out of the car as she is worried about the ramp. She was so wobbly, but this morning she went up stairs and she is getting onto the sofa a bit easier.

She's bright this morning, doing her little Kimme cha cha cha and tail wagging. Fingers crossed. She is definitely feeling a bit better and managing to get up on the sofa - she was struggling to do that. She has been found upstairs a few times as well. Not taking her out in the car except to go to vets as she is scared to use the ramp as she is afraid of falling off it so have to lift her in and out. So just multiple walks in the garden and up the lane.

she is bouncing this morning, not entirely what we want when you have just had spinal surgery....vet said don't let her slip, easy said with ice on top of snow and a silly poodle who thinks she is cured and has to do 3 x 20 minute lead walks sedately. I bought her some grippy socks, which the website said would fit a standard poodle. er no. Possibly a miniature, i ordered them specifically to stop her slipping on the indoor floors so now will cost me £10 to pay for carriage x 2 and still no product to use. Furious. Says clearly on the site what it will fit and it doesn't even remotely

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Huggy
she is bouncing this morning, not entirely what we want when you have just had spinal surgery....vet said don't let her slip, easy said with ice on top of snow and a silly poodle who thinks she is cured and has to do 3 x 20 minute lead walks sedately. I bought her some grippy socks, which the website said would fit a standard poodle. er no. Possibly a miniature, i ordered them specifically to stop her slipping on the indoor floors so now will cost me £10 to pay for carriage x 2 and still no product to use. Furious. Says clearly on the site what it will fit and it doesn't even remotely
D&T send them a picture demonstrating the ridiculous ineffectiveness of their product and say you want your money back and aren't prepared to pay return postage. You'd be within your rights, they have misled you.

Reactions: Huggy
D&T send them a picture demonstrating the ridiculous ineffectiveness of their product and say you want your money back and aren't prepared to pay return postage. You'd be within your rights, they have misled you.
they are going to send another one out foc but still have to pay the cost of returning it.

She had her recheck yesterday, after lots of hydro and laser from January onwards. They implanted stemcells in her spine hips and knees as her knees were a bit swollen and x rays revealed the beginning of arthritic changes, probably assisted by the weakness in her hinds. So she had the knees done as well, and some laser. She is bouncing this morning, she really is a strong dog, she recovers very well and is so brave. She may have to have it repeated in three months or in a year, they took some more blood to grow the stemcells so she has some in store. Another £2500 lighter. She is insured at the moment and we pay 15% but she renews in May and they may raise the premiums - despite life cover - so high that it would be cheaper to self fund, will have to wait and see. It sounds awful continually operating on her but when she gets relief she is a happy active poodle which is what we are trying to extend as long as we can. She is 12 now, she isn't going to be a veteran poodle of 18 years I can't see us being that lucky but all we can do is keep her free from pain and let her enjoy what time she has left.

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
I always said floss would not make an old dog and unlikely to make it past 10. Shes 13 and 1/2 so you mever cant tell. If shes happy and not suffering and you can fund treatment then shes worth it.

Wow, stem cell treatment for a dog. How things change. I am so happy that they give her a new lease of life, I would definitely have done this for my Mollydog if it had been available.

newrider.com