Kia has the Vet

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Things have taken a dip with Kia and I’m not happy with his condition again. He has rapidly dropped weight in the last couple of weeks.

I am thinking he has mouth pain so the vet is booked for next week instead of the end of the month as scheduled for his 6monthly check.

I am hoping his teeth are ok and he just has a diastema. However I am aware that the remaining viable tooth grinding surface that he has isn’t going to be a lot and if he cannot eat hay normally then I will have a decision to make. I won’t keep him going with buckets of mashed instead of long fibre.

Yes I may seem harsh but I fight my morals on a daily basis with the meds and the current costs just make plugging him full of hay replacers impossible for me to afford. We are coming into summer and I may be jumping the gun but I have to be real and do the best for my boy.

Me and my blog have been quiet due to this so apologies to those who follow us but I just can’t bring myself to post the pics I took the other day or really talk about It much.

Thanks

Sorry to hear things have taken a downturn. I hope it is just a blip and that Kia picks up again soon

Reactions: MrC
Really hope it's something straight forward and he picks up again very soon!

I really hope it's something that can be dealt with easily. I think with anything but a small pony it becomes very difficult indeed if they can't eat long fibre, and in my experience ones that are kept going on mashes & short fibres often seem to act as though they're hungry, maybe because the gut isn't getting the fibre to digest or the need to chew isn't being met? I don't know, but nutritional needs aren't the only consideration even if money allows. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Walking with you @MrC
At my livery there is a small group that we call "Sans dents" (without teeth), I was shocked to see the weight loss in one of them today. He has been rugged but not today. They'r not my horses so not my decision but I don't think I would be able to hang around til spring if it was one of mine. My thoughts are probably neither right nor wrong, each owner at that age normally tries to do their best.
Lots of Love to you and Kia xxxx

Sorry to hear he's not doing great atm, fingers crossed he picks up.

I agree with your thinking though and Kia is lucky to have you formthat, your putting his welfare above your own emotions.

Thank you everyone.

It is very very upsetting and very much one of my triggers to think of life without him. It sends me to a very black place when one of your anchors is not going to be there. I’m crying just typing this.

However I will not have him here a day longer than I think is in his best interests. I was not brought up that way, also technically my mother still owns Kia, we never transferred ownership over, so probably, after my dad kicked my ass all over the countryside, they would step in and I’d have no say in it anyway.

You'll do exactly the right thing if it comes to it, but hopefully it's something simple and he'll be right as rain going into spring then it all gets easier.
Phoenix's teeth ended up like polished glass, I did choose to feed him on mash but it didn't go on for long as his cushings developed into neurological issues, having done it, I fully understand not wanting to go there xxx

I'm really sorry to read this. I know you must be going through an awful heart breaking time and my heart goes out to you. Just a thought but I have always found february and march is the best time for a good doer to lose weight even if they are on the same amount of hay etc they have been getting all year, so is it something to do with a horses metabolism adjusting before the spring grasses come so they drop weight to allow for the flush of grass??? I know it is great for a healthy overweight horse to happen but not so great for an elderly or poor doer horse? It may be a long shot but once spring is properly here he may pick up again and hopefully it should be here in a week or two.

The other thing that might be worth checking since you've got the vet coming are his acth levels since if they've risen that could cause rapid weight loss. I know by spring they should be improving, but each horse is different & the crazy weather might not have helped. Longer term if the levels are rising it isn't good, but shorter time you might be able to manage it & get some more good time together x

Reactions: joellie and MrC
Hopefully his teeth are not as bad as you think. With the gaps, we have Storm's picked and flushed every three months. We have been doing that for a couple of years now and it has improved things a lot for her. She used to get quite sore on one side - but our vets have been able to use the putty to give the gum chance to heal. It has started staying in a long time too which is good. Also with summer coming and more turnout he might fare better on grass - I know Storm does teeth wise. Lots and lots of good vibes anyway and hope to read an update soon.

I have nothing more to add but really am thinking about you and Kia. Please update us after he's been seen by the vet.

Thanks again all :)

Thank you carthorse :) I have stopped testing his levels, reason being he can’t seem to tolerate any dose higher than 1.5mg. He is supposed to be on 2mg daily but i tried to build this up gradually using 0.25mg of an increase over 3-4 weeks. We got to 1.75mg and he well dull, stopped eating and wasn’t right went back down and he was much better. I periodically try but the last twice he has done the same thing :(

I am definitely thinking it’s his mouth, went up today and he had the option of soaked hay or dry and he ate hardly any of either despite having been in since 12pm until 8.30/9am today. He had eaten the bucket of beetpulp and oil and the two night feeds and his breakfast.

Fingers crossed it’s something simple as the thought of anything else is devastating.

Reactions: carthorse
Fingers crossed it is something that can be sorted easily. I’m sending lots of positive vibes your way.
I can’t imagine how you must be feeling x

Fingers crossed it is something simple then, u are in a horrid position but il always do whats right by him. Lots of love xxxx

You know I am in the position as you therefore I know how you are feeling that the stress this puts you under. The need to right by Kia is the over riding factor.

I salute your morals you have and do the best for Kia at all times.

Fingers crossed it’s some thing simple if not I know you will do what is right by Kia

newrider.com