Kerry Bog Ponies

kerry bog

Jul 21, 2011
Hi - I'm new to this site, I breed Welsh Sect A and Kerry Bog Ponies, wondered if there is anyone else out there who had Kerry Bogs, they are hard to get hold of, but a a super little pony, love to hear from any oneinterested in the breed.

I have two little section a's!! What's a Kerry bog pony? Please educate me :)

Welcome to NR!!!!!

They got a Kerry Bog pony at the RS I used to go to, over from Ireland, and he was soon sold to another livery. He was very cute, reminded me of a little dear with his tiny little ears and feet. They told me they were quite a rare breed now and there's only so many stallions left. Wish I could remember the details but sadly I'm too old! Would love to see pics of yours.

Kerry Bog ponies are supposed to be what the Icelandic descended from. I have always thought they look SO Icelandic in photos I have seen. Would love to meet one in person.

AFAIK Kerry Bog Ponies were practically extinct, but there's been a move to introduce them back again.

They are a small, hardy pony bred to help draw peat from the bogs, best I can tell they are like Welsh ponies. I've never seen one in real life though

The monks went over to Iceland to "spread the word" and took with the the Bog Ponies over 1000 years ago. They bred with the Fjord types and the native Scandinavian ponies, then in 928AD I think it was, the import of any horse into Iceland was made illegal and all the ponies have bred in isolation since then.

I do know they are still a very vunerable breed.

Hello and welcome, just googled some images, two words, Oh and Bless!!

As someone who is pretty scared of heights, what sort of wieght are they up to and whats the temprement like?

newrider.com