Keratex Hoof Hardener, any good?

I used it when I first had Belle's shoes removed and it did seem to harden them off and helped possibly while the nail holes were growing out, but really I don't think it is that good (have heard it makes them brittle). With hind sight I wouldn't bother with it again.:)

It can be helpful, but as Clava says it can make the hoof wall overly brittle. If I use it I only put it on the very bottom of the wall and sometimes the sole, not all over as the instructions suggest.

Thanks for replies:)
Reason I ask is my mare is sore, approx 5wks since shoe removal. Was going well until 2nd trim.
Friend sent me some keratex to use, swears by it. I was happy to try anything and as this was a free offer..
I applied it as per instruction, and it does say only paint around the edge/rim of hoof, do sole if felt ness, which I did. carefully avoiding frog and only keeping to the edge/rim of foot.
2 days later and there is a marked improvement. Now I dont know if it is the Keratex (never used it before) or just simply a bit of time to get over the trim. Her feet look fantastic even though there are still nail holes to grow out. I have even noticed a concave effect starting to take place on her soles and the bars starting to lentghen.
Defo much happier today.
If it helps the transition :)

That's when I've used it in the past. If the feet aren't very strong then even a mild and careful trim will make them less comfortable. Watch out for the effects of spring grass too.

it worked wonders for my boy, my farrier recommended it. you put it on usually 2/3 times a week. i rubbed it on the lower part of the hoof and also the underneath. it really promoted growth of the hoof wall :)

I don't think it's a good thing for general use, but would think it would be fine & perhaps beneficial to use as Yann & others have suggested. The product is primarily formaldehyde and is quite destructive to healthy tissue. It does make hooves brittle if used at all regularly, which negates the hardening effect. Hooves need to remain flexible. Especially soles, which don't need hardening, but they need to *grow* thicker & more concave. It is not reccomended to put the stuff on the frogs, and it is often the heels/digital cushion that causes a horse to be sensitive when not conditioned to bare. Hoof walls also tend to break away at ground level because they need to - they are over long, there are breakover issues, etc.

If your horse was OK to begin with but sore after the subsequent trim, then I'd speak to your farrier about it. Horses should be more comfortable or the same immediately after a trim(tho there are occasional exceptions) and it could be farrier error that has caused the problem.

Thanks for all your replies. I am aware of formaldahyde, I do work with the stuff of up to 36% in strength. The keratex contains 8% so relatively weak in comparison. But possibly it's enough for hooves:)
But I agree, the less used the better, and I never applied it to the frogs.
I used the Keratex twice after the 2nd trim from shoe removal. I have to say I noticed a huge change in my mares footing being much more comfortable within a couple of days. Now maybe this is just shear coincidence with time, I don't know. But it all came about after 2 applications 5 days apart of the keratex.
I haven't felt the need to use it again so far. Who knows maybe after the next trim it would be beneficial. Yet to be decided when we get there:)
If I can not use anything then great, but handy to know that this could possibly have it's uses.

I was woundering weather the new product Rock Hard from naf has the same ingredents in it?? and also a farrier told me just to use Purple Spray as in his oppion it worked as well and did the same job! Any views!!

newrider.com