Kent and masters saddles

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Seems both my local masters saddlers stock kent and masters, new saddles. Not many second hand cheap saddles in stock so they say. So will have to buy new to fit my youngster. So what are people thoughts on them. Any good. There about £750.
It a bit more than i would like and people saying don't spend too much as he will grow out of it. Seems I don't have a choice, and that's with master saddlers.

I've heard good things about them, they have the added bonus of being adjustable gullet so as long as back confirmation doesn't chage too much he shouldn't grow out of it.
Out of interest I am led to believe the k&M saddles are the same tree as the thorowgood's so those might be a cheaper option for you.

I have a K&M Cob Extra Wide for Ziggy and @Flipo's Mum has the same for her enormous boy so they are quite versatile! I love mine, it is comfortable and well made and Ziggy likes it too. I think I paid £700 for it nearly 6 years ago so they haven't gone up much.

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
I've also got a k&m cob GP. I like it, bought it for £500 second hand, so they hold their value pretty well. If the saddler lets you know what you need you might be able to pick one up cheaper.

Like Jane says, I've got one for my coffee table of a horse and we flit between two gullets depending on the time of year.
I had a wintec wide before. And the thought of it give me shivers when I think about it. The k and m is a fab saddle, so comfortable and I've had mine about six years with no concerns at all.
I'd think if the tree shape suits him and keeps suiting him as he grows it might last longer than you think with a bit flocking and gullet changing. But I'm no saddle fitter.

newrider.com