Keeping Straight!!!

Horse100

Hippy about Horses
Oct 31, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Everytime i try and go over trotting poles/a jump my horse and i tend to drift to the left. No matter how hard i try i can't stop it happening. My instructor says my positions fine, so i don't understand what's going on!

Can some please give me some tips!!!

Thanx

Horse100

:)

To correct a horse that is drifting to the left, you use the left leg as a 'barrier' keep the left rein lying against the neck, and possibly use the right rein to encourage the horse to move over a little more to the right.

Drifting is usually for a reason.. even if your position looks good from the ground, it's worth doing a mental check that your weighting on each seatbone is equal, and that your contact on each rein is equal. To ride straight you must be entirely straight in your body, and give aids equal on both sides.

Rachel xx

Are you right handed? If yes then you are probably tacking a stronger contact with your right hand and exerting extra pressure with your right leg. This will cause the horse to bend slightly to the right and sort of leg yeild and run through the left shoulder. This is not uncommon and often why a lot of horse jump to the left.
If this is what is happening then concentrate on relaxing the contact on the right rein and using your left leg more. If it feels like you are using your left side more then you will probably be using both sides evenly.

newrider.com